Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My attempt at "Slow Down"
Just discovered this great site!

Decided to give "Slow Down" a shot as I love the style of the song. Let me know what you think?

.m4a    Slow Down Mix.m4a --  (Download: 8.72 MB)

I tried out a little experiment: It's not something I usually do, but I tried riding the master level a little bit to emphasize the dynamics of the song. I have a tape saturation plugin on the master bus, so I adjust the level right before the tape deck, so I'm not going in slightly less hot during the more silent sections of the song. Experimented a lot with figuring out where to make these adjustments, but even thought it's only 2-3dB at max and it's going straight into a tape deck and a limiter that evens most of it out again, I think I might have overdone it a little bit. Do you agree? Maybe I should have done it to all but the drums?

Also the piano should maybe have been a tad louder?

Listening to some of the other mixes in here, I'm pretty happy with what I did with the BD. I struggled with the sound having too much natural room sound because it was bleeding into all of the other mics. I ended up using the Enveloper plugin in Logic to cut away a lot of the decay/release of the sound to make it tighter. I muted all of the unused mics during the intro and I put a little bit of sidechain compression on most of the tracks the BD was bleeding into (SD, toms and room mics), to attenuate the other tracks when the BD track was playing.