Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bounty - Mixed by Artbass
31-05-2013, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 03:18 PM by Artbass.)
Bounty - Mixed by Artbass
Hi all,

I'm back with another mix and I'd really like to hear what you think about it. This was the first time I ever put my hands on R'n'B and I have to admit that I did not do much referencing. I just don't have any tracks I could compare this with apart from some old Motown stuff or the second Seal record Blush

Cheers
Artbass

.mp3   Bounty_M1.mp3 --  (Download: 13.7 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 12:58 AM by takka360.)
RE: Bounty - Mixed by Artbass
Good mix,most of your mixes are good.
You are in my top 3 mixers on this siteBig Grin
I think this mix is very good
01-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your comments guys.

I obviously decided to give the bass a lot of room as it is the instrument that offers the most potential as a countermelody in this case. I've checked on my small earbuds and although the lows went away (as to be expected) it still felt good so I thought that giving your subwoofers something to chew on would be nice Big Grin

Anyway, I'll probably will tweak my mix a bit more. I think that the longterm dynamics could still need some work.

Cheers
Artbass
03-06-2013, 03:41 AM
I really liked your mix, sounds really natural.
03-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks for listening and commenting.
08-06-2013, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 11:59 AM by mange.)
To me it sounds like if you have a big (maybe not that big) smile on a graphical eq. Something is missing somewhere in the midrange. Sorry I can´t be more precise. Like how you "muted" the bassguitar during the first break. The bassguitar sounds great, what did you do to it?

Check out and review my mixes here
Me at SoundCloud
09-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi mange,

thank your for your comment.

(08-06-2013 11:58 AM)mange Wrote:  To me it sounds like if you have a big (maybe not that big) smile on a graphical eq. Something is missing somewhere in the midrange. Sorry I can´t be more precise.

Maybe that is the combination of a very fundamental (if I may say so) bass and the fact, that there is not much else going on? For me there is nothing missing in the midrange, so I don't know where to put your comment. To my ears I went for a rather midrangy piano, especially when I compare my mix to others.

Quote:The bassguitar sounds great, what did you do to it?

Not that much, actually. The individual tracks only carry a highpass and a little dip at around 250 (each). I then mixed them to taste, put an EQ on that bus, where I used a slight bass boost (90Hz), some cuts here (130Hz) and there (1,26kHz), a light boost at 1,8kHz. Following was a compressor (4:1 ratio with about 3-6db gain reduction) and a bit distortion from Cubase's daTube. And that's it, if you take light compression on several following stages (bus compressors) out of the equation. Oh, and I send it to the global room verb (a bit at least).
10-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Thank you comment in my thread.

When I feel that I have heard...
Vocal is heard painfully dynamic range is narrow.
Is it do too much to worry about?
10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
And here I was thinking modern 'R&B' is all about bling and booty shaking Smile

Very nice mix, Artbass.
My sensibilities would have the vocals up in the mix a little more, but that's just me Smile

Dags

So many songs, so little time!
Visit this user's website
10-06-2013, 04:47 PM
(10-06-2013 11:51 AM)Dags Wrote:  And here I was thinking modern 'R&B' is all about bling and booty shaking Smile

Haha, I love that Cool

Yeah, well, vocal levels, that old enemy... I guess that is something where one can really benefit from referencing.

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: