Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Black Out Betty" Chris93 Mix
Here's my mix of this. I found myself doing some pretty drastic EQing on a couple of tracks. I'll not say which they are though unless someone hears something wrong. Big Grin Did anyone else find this?

Didn't use the kick in mic.

I've got what I think is the best sound I can from the snare without washing hi hats over the entire mix.

I like the general feel of what I've done with the ending but would appreciate suggestions on how to improve this effect.

Chris

.mp3    Black Out Betty Chris93.mp3 --  (Download: 5.79 MB)

Hi Chris

finally got some time to listen to your mix. Nice idea at the end, dropping the drum to get this a capella feel.
Some remarks on the rest of the mix:
- I found the vocal in the rapping part too ambient/wet, and maybe also a bit too low in the mix, I'd prefer them more 'in your face'
- the sung vocal in the rest of the song could maybe be just a touch more effected, they sound just a bit too dry to me
- the fade at 2.09 just before the a capella section is a bit too quick I think, it sounds 'cut' to me

Cheers
Eric[/align]
Yo Chris,
I agree with drbob1970 for the most part, that acapella part is pretty kool i must say.My main picks though are that the vocals doesn't seem to be the star of the track they seem a bit lifeless and distant and the low end needs some beefing up too imho.
Hi Chris, Nice mix. Yes, I also found drastic EQ necessary, often to reduce bleed over. One example was a lot of bass in the backing vocals. Since the backing vocals sounded like the lead singer overdubbing it made me wonder where the bass came from. Perhaps monitors were on in the control room.

I like your acapella part a lot. I found the low-level drum lead-in a bit distracting though. It sounded like one of the drum tracks didn't get muted as soon as the others. It might be one of the toms or overheads.