Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead Inc - The Inner Circle
Here is my second try at this song. I got mad and deleted my original thread when I heard my first mix the next day Smile After about a week away from this song, I think I finally got it to sound the way I want. My original goal was to make the mix clean and powerful. That mix ended up really harsh and I tried to EQ the whole mix and ended up with something even worse. This time around, my goal was to take it easy on the EQ and keep the mix sounding natural. I feel I've accomplished that.

.mp3    Lead Inc - Inner Circle V2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.34 MB)

.mp3    Lead Inc - Inner Circle.mp3 --  (Download: 12.34 MB)

V2 uploaded. It started with me notch filtering out some harshness in the vocals at 4.1k and I ended up making subtle tweaks to the whole mix. While I was at it, I added some panning automation to the guitars that I should have done in the first place.
listening to the second version with headphones, I really like it. It sounds full and dense while maintaining great clarity. Guitar parts are featured nicely. Frequencies seemed to be managed well also. I'm not hearing any harshness or build ups this endBig Grin

Dave
Thank you Dave for your kind words. I've been practicing continuously for a solid year and trying to get up to speed quick because I'm middle aged and don't know how many more good years my ears have left Smile

Listening to it now, I may pull back that snare drum in a few places where it pokes out. I tried to add a little extra reverb in those spots, but that didn't work like I wanted. I would have done it already, but the room mic will have to come down in those places as well, since it's about 25% of the snare tone.

FYI, I used Reaper with all free plugins. I thought it would be fun to list them:

Stock plugins:

ReaEQ
ReaComp
ReaVerb (using Pensadia's Impulse Library downloaded from David Glenn Recording)
ReaGate
ReaDelay
ReaXComp
JS: Saturation
JS: Distortion
JS: White Noise Generator
JS: Resonant Lowpass Filter
JS: Ping Pong Pan

Freebies:

TDR Nova (parallel dynamic EQ by Tokyo Dawn Labs)
Head Crusher FREE (saturation by Audio Assault)
Tube Amp (tube amp by Voxengo)
SHB-1 (bass head by Ignite Amps)
Boogex (guitar amp by Voxengo)
HyBrit (guitar head by Poulin)
BC Flanger 3 (flanger by Blue Cat)
Stereo Touch (stereo widening effect by Voxengo)
SPAN (spectrum analyzer by Voxengo)