Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
The Inner Circle (Prog. Rock/Metal Mix)
Great song.

Wasn't quite sure on tonality -- so it's a bit between hard rock and metal here!

Few production notes:

1) Triggers used to replace kik/snare/toms, overheads are original.
2) Used the amped version of bass and guitars; selecting the best mic for each.
3) Broke the vocals and guitars out into sections, to create more contrast.
4) Some tuning on the lead and backing vocals, esp. to tighten the harmonies.

Many thanks to wurstdrummer and Lead Inc. for making these tracks available.

44.1/24 download available at: https://soundcloud.com/jeffd42/lead-inc-inner-circle

UPDATE: Posted the final mix here -- so it's on the top of the thread. Other versions remain below.

.mp3    Lead Inc - Inner Circle (Alt).mp3 --  (Download: 12.37 MB)

All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
The overall sounds a bit crowded around the 1kHz area, although can't say if it's an issue that needs fixing. I like the idea of the drums being focused on the kick and snare. It gives the mix kind of oppressive horror feel or something. Really changes the nature of the song. And you haven't spared the effects, so it has an original signature.
(07-10-2016, 12:03 AM)kapu Wrote: The overall sounds a bit crowded around the 1kHz area.

Good ears. Definitely a bit too pokey in the midrange for a modern rock/metal mix. There's a buildup of mids in the 450Hz-650Hz region. Going to have a play with the mastering EQ tomorrow and repost. (Update: now attached. Also, a slightly lighter, more radio friendly mix.)

(07-10-2016, 12:03 AM)kapu Wrote: I like the idea of the drums being focused on the kick and snare. It gives the mix kind of oppressive horror feel or something.

It's almost Halloween! Was aiming for an ominous, epic, expensive sounding production. The drums set the stage. The other subtlety is a few Blackhole reverbs, and QL Spaces Hollywood Soundstage. (Both unusual choices for a rock mix, but was aiming for the impending-sense-of-doom you mentioned.)

Thanks for your comments. Very helpful!

Cheers, Jeff

.mp3    Lead Inc - Inner Circle EQ.mp3 --  (Download: 12.37 MB)

.mp3    Lead Inc - Inner Circle - FM Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 12.37 MB)

(07-10-2016, 02:56 AM)jeffd42 Wrote: Good ears. Definitely a bit too ...

Great. Sounds definitely better to my ears on my system now.
I like the dirge you were able to pull out of this mix. It appears that you slowed the entire mix down. The unfortunate part of doing that is you ended up making the vocals out of tune at some parts. But what the hey, its an interesting take on the song. Also, your mix has excellent depth and dimension, very 3D, well done.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(09-10-2016, 06:16 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: It appears that you slowed the entire mix down.

It does sound like that... but I didn't change the tempo! The focus on the kick/snare combo, rather than the overheads, creates the impression. But it's an illusion!

(09-10-2016, 06:16 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: The unfortunate part of doing that is you ended up making the vocals out of tune at some parts.

You raise a good point...

The song key is C# minor. I assumed (I think correctly) all tunings are to 440Hz.

There are a few places in the melody where I observed a slight lack of commitment to D or D# (the first implies Phrygian, the other Aeolian). Phrygian sounds more evil (and discordant, spooky etc) -- which suited the vibe of the mix. So there are a few phrases that now land on D for that reason.

You notice it most in the first two vocal lines, the second phrase ends on D ("but no ones talking"). The next phrase then returns to the tonic (C#) -- and that sets up much of the mood of the song. On the tuning: I didn't kill the vibrato entirely; so, although the tuning is tightened, it's not hammering every word onto the the note grid.
This is just the kind of creative mix I've been waiting for. Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Till // LEAD Inc.
(12-10-2016, 10:02 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: This is just the kind of creative mix I've been waiting for. Thank you so much!
Till // LEAD Inc.

Thank you for your comment.
Much appreciated having these multitracks to work on!
A few new plugins, an excuse to play, and a new alternative version of this mix.

.mp3    Lead Inc - Inner Circle (Alt).mp3 --  (Download: 12.37 MB)

(12-02-2017, 12:41 AM)jeffd42 Wrote: A few new plugins, an excuse to play, and a new alternative version of this mix.

Thank you! Really nice, I love the KornIsh vibe in it. Smile