Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dark ride: burning bridges [dryfat mix]
hello people, here is my attempt. it was not easy to mix this song. backing vocals - they were provided with effects and would not be integrated into the mix. the first solo guitar sounds as it was originally recorded in stereo and then converted to mono... level fluctuations, grrr... but i have brought it to an end...
thank you for the comments,
dryfat

.mp3    DARK_RIDE_BURNING BRIDGES_DRYFAT_MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

.mp3    BB_MIX2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

This mix is compressed and distorted as hell. Really, I can't tell you what is wrong or what to change first because it's a complete mess. you should get the basics right before even thinking about stereo solos or backing vocals with effects. They are definitely not the problem of this overly distorted and compressed mix.
(05-10-2016, 01:43 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: This mix is compressed and distorted as hell. Really, I can't tell you what is wrong or what to change first because it's a complete mess. you should get the basics right before even thinking about stereo solos or backing vocals with effects. They are definitely not the problem of this overly distorted and compressed mix.

yes, you are right, the mix is compressed. distorted? the source material does not leave any other kind of mixing. Tongue the vocals are really f***ed up. vocal comping is poorly executed, and you can hear melodyne on the least part.

but i will make a new mix soon.

and: where can i listen YOUR mix of this song, hörr Blitzzz? Angel

(05-10-2016, 10:44 AM)dryfat Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 01:43 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: This mix is compressed and distorted as hell. Really, I can't tell you what is wrong or what to change first because it's a complete mess. you should get the basics right before even thinking about stereo solos or backing vocals with effects. They are definitely not the problem of this overly distorted and compressed mix.

yes, you are right, the mix is compressed. distorted? the source material does not leave any other kind of mixing. Tongue the vocals are really f***ed up. vocal comping is poorly executed, and you can hear melodyne on the least part.

Blitzzz's mix is the sample one on the download page
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(05-10-2016, 02:02 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:

thx, dcp... Smile

I wrote and recorded this song 4 years ago if that answers your question about me beeing qualified to tell you that your mix is distorted, compressed and limited to death and not anywhere near as good as it could be. And to be honest, neither the vocals nor the solos are the problem of your mix. You are literally the first guy who has a problem with them Smile It's the basic choices you have made that are the problem of your mix and are causing ear fatigue after one minute of listening.

Sorry to hurt your feelings bro, but it is what it is. Get the basics right (volume, eq and a little amount of compression) and you are 90% done. No need to crush, clip or limit the shit out of those tracks as several other guys here have already proven with their powerful and transparent mixes. If you don't hear that your mix is distorted (and I mean the bad distortion thing, not the good) you should grab a ref track (e.g. a song from Killswitch) and compare it with your mix. You are probably not using ref tracks, are you?

I´m just giving you free feedback. You can choose to ignore it which is fine. But if you want to learn stuff and get better you should start to compare your mix with the good ones on this forum plus some pro mixes from that genre and you will instantly know that I am right.

And if you really want to do the "Who are you to tell me what's right or wrong thing?" you can hop over to this song, mix it and compare your mix with my version Smile
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=10952

happy mixing and feel free to ask me anything. I´m glad if I can help.
(05-10-2016, 02:02 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:

Very rude .Maybe you should listen to the feedback .

hi hörr blitzzz - thanks for your reply. Smile i find nice that you want to help me - seriously. the problem is as always the volume. of course i work with gain staging and moderate compression on the buses. Only at the end i switch a limiter into the sum to intercept the points. but then the problem starts ... listen to my new mix, if you have time. i have of course tried to copy your mix, but that is not possible... your mix is in the reaper 1.2db over the zero (and i not cheating - please look the attachment)...
best wishes from germany,
dryfat

Thumbnail(s)

(06-10-2016, 12:51 AM)dryfat Wrote: hi hörr blitzzz - thanks for your reply. Smile i find nice that you want to help me - seriously. the problem is as always the volume. of course i work with gain staging and moderate compression on the buses. Only at the end i switch a limiter into the sum to intercept the points. but then the problem starts ... listen to my new mix, if you have time. i have of course tried to copy your mix, but that is not possible... your mix is in the reaper 1.2db over the zero (and i not cheating - please look the attachment)...
best wishes from germany,
dryfat
Hi Dryfat,

That's one problem with your mix, when you see red and see any positive level readings on the master it means the computer has run out of "numbers" to be able to intulectualize the audio. Basically digital audio cannot actually exist over 0 dBFs, otherwise the peaks of the audio get sliced off and result in the distortion as in the first mix. When setting the final output with the limiter, use the output (often this is called the "ceiling") of the limiter somewhere between -1.5 and -0.1 dB to ensure there aren't any peaks exceeding 0 dBFs.

The trick with limiting is that limiters are EXTREMELY fast compressors both on the attack and release, as soon as a peak exceeds the threshold of the limiter it gets smacked down so that it doesn't exceed the final level. In your newest mix the limiter is being triggered by the snare hits and is causing audible volume drops (this is known as "Pumping") and makes the mix disorienting to listen to. That also leads me to think that the snare is also too far up in the mix. The snare provided in the multis is quite transient heavy so using a compressor on it with a faster (4-15 ms) attack time and a 50-150 ms release would help you quell the attack of the snare transient and bring up it's sustain so that it'll be more easily heard in the mix without nuking the limiter.

With that I would also check the level of the rest of the drums, at least at this moment the snare is the most prominent element of the drums and makes them sound disjointed from each other. A good rule of thumb is to first take the kick and snare in solo and set them so that they peak out at the same level and work from there.

Overall your second mix is an improvement over the first and the elements that make up the mix are more apparent. From here it's about finding out where each element should go level wise, ask yourself "are the vocals too loud", "are the drums too quiet and not supporting the bass and guitars", "are the rhythm guitars too far panned and getting lost with the backup vocals that are in the same space". Once you find the answers to said questions, work with volume automation, eq, compression, panning, and most importantly, your ears to piece the mix together.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
hi dcp,
thank you for your comment. Smile
i think we have us not understood: the mix of blitzzz shows overprints.
my mix is limited to -0.2db. google says this is a problem of encoding in the DAW ... but this is a border problem at the moment...

to my mix: you're absolutely right. the snare is dominant. basic and solo guitars have too much delay which mud all the space... the bassdrum in 16th passages are blurry... the rest of the mix is also for the trash can, i hate it. Grrrr...Angry
i made a big, big mistake again: make the final mix in the evening with headphones.
but i do not let go, i have foxterrier DNA ... Wink

so i try today to mix the drums with spatial delay and less transient shaper on the snare - and especially with monitors, and not with my oldest enemy -the headphones. Dodgy
regards,
dryfat