Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triviul - Better (M&F)
This is some good stuff here.. what a creative artist! Went with my instincts in this.. * disclaimer: this has mastering processing so it doesn't represent mix levels.

Update: recall version uploaded with slight adjustment to bass, slight more "Hallelujah" on the third chorus drop and main vocal inhale cleanup.

Update2: Unfortunately my schedule won't permit me to work on any more forum material at this time, so I've posted a medley "mini album" version of the 4 final versions of this selection that I did. They are engineered to fit in listening line with some recent refs I've listened to, the more upper bar being Andrew Scheps work on the latest Green Day album.. I'm also including a 24/44.1 source copy link.

24/44.1 reference
https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldruglord/Trivual+f.wav

1) Better
2) Alright?
3) Gimme
4) Anglesaint

.mp3    Trivual f.mp3 --  (Download: 32.21 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
The general level balance is really good for the most part, particularly the vox/BV balance, with the exception of a couple of fx and synth parts being a bit too forward, but it's completely top-heavy in terms of frequency balance. All the sub energy has been relegated to a lower-mid "knock". I guess there was a lot of high-passing used?
(01-10-2016, 07:43 PM)Judders Wrote: The general level balance is really good for the most part, particularly the vox/BV balance, with the exception of a couple of fx and synth parts being a bit too forward, but it's completely top-heavy in terms of frequency balance. All the sub energy has been relegated to a lower-mid "knock". I guess there was a lot of high-passing used?

Hi, I chose to go for clarity and punch and avoid anything below 60hrz that takes up all of the dynamic range/headroom and results in a low-volume final.
(01-10-2016, 08:08 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 07:43 PM)Judders Wrote: The general level balance is really good for the most part, particularly the vox/BV balance, with the exception of a couple of fx and synth parts being a bit too forward, but it's completely top-heavy in terms of frequency balance. All the sub energy has been relegated to a lower-mid "knock". I guess there was a lot of high-passing used?

Hi, I chose to go for clarity and punch and avoid anything below 60hrz that takes up all of the dynamic range/headroom and results in a low-volume final.

Okay, but to my ears it has lost all it's punch. 60Hz is very high to cut everything off at, especially when the artist clearly likes a bit of sub action. I think you've lost a lot by doing that, and what you've lost isn't made up for by the ability to reduce the dynamic range by an extra dB or two.

Just my opinion of course, I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong.
(02-10-2016, 12:09 PM)Judders Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 08:08 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:

Okay, but to my ears it has lost all it's punch. 60Hz is very high to cut everything off at, especially when the artist clearly likes a bit of sub action. I think you've lost a lot by doing that, and what you've lost isn't made up for by the ability to reduce the dynamic range by an extra dB or two.

Just my opinion of course, I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong.

It's a good observation, I listened to the artist own posting of the song here http://www.triviul.com/Listen.htm and in this song theres a bass and 808 drum bass "tones" working at the same time.. I like the tones presented in the 808 drums along with the loops that give the song a moody character. The artist version has big emphasis on the bass synth and it masks all of the stuff in the mix going on under it. The challenge with heavy bass songs is avoiding the swallow that can easily happen on a sound system of the subs being too overpowering, drowning out body of the song.. when it reaches a sound system with a dedicated subwoofer then the sub will rumble instead of thump.

Awesome mix DDL I like it.
Awesome mix DDL ,your mix sounds well balanced and translates well on different monitors.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(03-10-2016, 05:26 AM)Shul Wrote: Awesome mix DDL I like it.

Thanks Shul.. Im going to also give this artist other material a go..
(03-10-2016, 06:52 AM)thedon Wrote: Awesome mix DDL ,your mix sounds well balanced and translates well on different monitors.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don, cool.. I know your monitors are very good at giving a good perspective of sound. I love the Yamaha HS7s I'm using now that I've adjusted to their delivery. Will be giving this artist other material a go as well..
Again, this is a great bold vision, and I love hearing this kind of thing. Can't judge the bass issue, because I'm listening on my PC minispeakers, but a couple of other queries occur to me. The first is that the very sharp attack you give to the kick drum, while certainly very punchy, seems to slow down the groove. For me the kick in this track performed more of a 'rippling' role, especially during the verses, rather than trying to anchor the rhythm, and it seems like it's dominating over the music a little much now, so that it feels too busy.

The second thing is something I've noticed in most other mixes of this track too: when we hit the drop-chorus (ie. chorus three, where the texture drops to just vocals a drums) the new counterpoint vocals feel a little underpowered. For me those are the aspect that should really surprise the listener and add a new shot of energy to propel them through to the end of the track. Whereas in your version (and indeed most others) they're somehow not grappling enough with the lead on more equal terms, which seems like a lost opportunity somehow.

Great work overall, though, and I very much enjoyed the listen!