Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
another newbie trying to mix 'Rothko'!
Here's my attempt to mix this song. I've been trying to apply everything that people has suggested in the other three songs I've mixed; and in my opinion, there's a huge improvement if you compare this song to the other three; but... I still have so much to learn!!!

So I'm all ears to your suggestions!!!

Thanks in advance

.mp3    Rothko.mp3 --  (Download: 3.01 MB)

your mixing levels are improving,one suggustion would be to use a little less reverb.
Did you use reverb on individual tracks or on the whole master mix ?

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

hi, Thedon! this time I've used reverb only on the vocal track and in some individual tracks (not all of them). In my other mixes I've used reverb on the master track to blend sounds together.

This time I've thoroughly read Mike's mix procedure in order to learn more about the mixing process, and I've gotten some of the vst that he used so I can learn how to use them and apply to this and future mixes; and one of them is Magnus Jonsson’s Smartelectronix Ambience plug-in that applies a general blending reverb to the mix. So I believe that my exagerated used of it, made you realize the excesive reverb. I will try to make it more subtle!

One more thing, do you think that the guitars are ok? They've been the hardest part for me here on this mix because I could hear the accoustic guitars or the electric guitars; but not both at the same time! I think I've managed to do it, but I'm not that sure.

Thank you once again for your valuable suggestions!
Experament with panning the the accoustic guitars wider and more top end to bring out the strumming.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Some good things going on in this mix
thank you guys! you are a fantastic help in order to go on and learn more and more!