Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judders' Better? Mix
Probably a case of posting in haste, I've not had a chance to listen to the balance on speakers yet, but never mind.

The arrangement was easier to work with than the other Triviul songs I've done. I'm quite pleased with how it opens up at the chorus, but I could keep tweaking for a while automating levels. Maybe I'll upload a second version if I get around to it.

Anyway, all comments welcome Smile

.mp3    Judders_Better_Trivial.mp3 --  (Download: 6.43 MB)

Hi! You could perhaps check the structure of the reverbs or ambience used here (direct sound > early reflections > reverb tail) on the snare track possibly? To me it sounds like the early reflection part is slightly overpowering, making the ambience or reverb audible in a 'not-so-good' way. I don't know if this is of any value to you, but a good practice for this is 'overdoing' the early reflections (reverb tail muted) first, and then starting to take early reflection level down to a point where the transition from dry to early reflections sounds good; when you can consciously tell there is artificial ambience added, but you can't distinguish it by intuition. Then in same way blend in the reverb tail. It's a good method when you just want to add a little 'moisture' to a sound. Of course the tone and size of the overall ambience or reverb is up to you. Just wanted to grab this very specific topic, because your mix sounds very good and cohesive, and it has clear emphasis on the vocals and a good contrast between verse and chorus and all the other positive traits that make the mix work. Or if you have a strong sense that this how the snare has to be, then just leave it that way and don't my suggestions. And I too use overly reverbed sounds all the time, but I've come the conclusion that maybe I should go little easier with the key elements and instruments which draw a lot of attention. Great mixing in any case!
Thanks for the detailed reply!

The funny thing is, rather than reflections I think what may be causing that is the "sucking" from completely smashing the reverb I put on the chorus drum loop. Of course, that will bring up the reflections too, but maybe increasing the release time on that might help.

Honestly, I just went a bit wild trying to make those chorus drums sound as huge as possible, so I'm sure there are some rough edges in there.

Thanks again Smile
I like your drums, but i don't think the song needs the drums so up front in the mix.

(29-09-2016, 11:23 PM)axe45 Wrote: I like your drums, but i don't think the song needs the drums so up front in the mix.

But it felt good Tongue

Then, every time I turned them down the chorus just didn't have the same impact. They were up a couple of dB's before!
I wanted to basically do a mix where I didn't worry about balance so much and concentrate on impact and groove. Just to go by feel and not analyse what I was doing so much.