Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pray for Rain
Greetings,

It has been awhile since I hat the time to enjoy this great site. Took on The Tech director task for a cdouple of Theatres here and it has kept me busy getting the sound systems correctly set up-but I have to say it was a blast. I am also doing sound and light design for both while training the volunteer sound engineers.

anyhow had a great time with this mix. Here are a couple of things:

1. I "helped" the lead vocal a tad with sibliance and plosives but left some and the breath sounds as these are really tracking issues with Mic technique, placement and selection. She has a nice voice and with a little focus on mic technique she can reach her goals.
2. Took the minimalist approach with eq. Just a tad here and there to let the artists intend come thru.
3. Youse guys already know that I like driving bottom end and that "live" sound and I probably won't change. I'll leave the sterial to others and I do this for the fun of it.
4. big believer in a different Mastering guru so her it it. should be enough headroom as I was very easy on the compression.

Hope you enjoy it.

Mike

.mp3    PrayForRain_Master1_K12.mp3 --  (Download: 12.67 MB)

Greetings Again,

Just got Isotopes Neutrino Plugin. Played around with it by putting it on my buss tracks. Can't say what it is doing but It did make me make some changes to my mix.

Have a listen and let me know if you like it better.

Mike

.mp3    PrayForRain_Master2_K12.mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

Greetings,

Well I broke down and finally installed the aurelex products that they recomended for my studio, I think sweetwater will still do this service for free. Made a huge improvement in what I now hear.

I also had a awakening. I was balancing the sound for a 500 seat theatre the other day. I always use Bob Katz pink noise for this. Anyhow I thought why not check my studio eq and levels the same way.

Found a couple of things. First when the HVAC kicked in there is a huge bump at 150-350HZ range. So now I mix with it turned off. Huge difference.

The Eq was still off a tad here and there so I used GEQ Marvel-Linear Phase EQ, big believer in free VST in fact I only have one that I actually paid for. Took a little cyphering to get two mixes to my board, one for my near fields with the eq and one without for my headphone mix. I know there are things available to do this but remember I am cheap.

Anyhow doing this made me trash my previous mix and pretty much start again.

If anyone would like to take the time to listen to my previous mix and this one and let me have your comments it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

.mp3    PrayForRain_Master4_K12.mp3 --  (Download: 13.38 MB)

Hello Mike!
Sorry but i liked your first mix moreWink
It sounds more naturally for my ears. Vocal without unwanted sibilants. Nice main guitar.
A little less hi-hat can do the sound softer.
Try to experiment with compressor settings, it would be cool to hear more natural sound of drums. And yes, i'm also not a professor, it's just matter of tasteBig Grin
Cheers!
(14-10-2016, 06:21 PM)sonicenergystudio Wrote: Greetings,
If anyone would like to take the time to listen to my previous mix and this one and let me have your comments it would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

The intro on the second mix is good. Then it just gets far too bright. And the snare sounds overcompressed for the style.

The first mix is tonally better. Some work needed to remove boxyness on the drums. Also, on the vocal, you might want to automate the FX send so that it brings out certain phrases, rather than being on for the whole song.

Hope this helps! Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Hi Mike

Apologies for the delay in listening - I have been quite busy !

I took a listen to your 1st and 3rd mix. I agree with the other comment - I much prefer mix 1 over mix 3. Mix 1 has a better overall EQ balance (bass is not very prominent on Mix 3) and the vocals in mix 3 sound like they have been excited or an extreme high-end boost. Snare in mix 1 is great vs. mix 3 as well - maybe preference. Having played a bit with Neutron - it wants to put an exciter on everything - when summed across a whole mix, it starts to add up.....

Mix 1 had a good overall balance. The vocals may be a bit heavy on the compression, and the breath noises were very prominent vs. other mixes. If you read Mike Senior's article on this mix, you will see he took a blended approach to the lead vocals. Other small points would include a frequency on the lead guitar that is poking out in the 3-4k range I think. The ride could use a little attack transient taming as well.

Hope this helps ! Thanks for mixing the track.

Thomas