Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Tommy_HappyBlues Mix by Arco
Mixed in Reaper. Headroom is -4.1db

Tommy's a great Musician! The song is great! Hail to this man!

As always... I appreciate any comment (^_^)

.mp3    TommyMarcinek_HappyBlues.mp3 --  (Download: 4.79 MB)

Death Knight of Music Technology.
Nice mix It translates well on my monitors good job with the punchy kick !
Thinking just a touch more air (1-2db ) 5k and up with a shelf eq .
probably just my fatigued ears Blush
Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I like this mix, sounds like what I'd expect the song to sound live. Kick drum really cuts through and the organ has the best all-around sound I've heard lately (and I get to hear a B-3/Leslie live every week at my gig).
Thank you for the feedback people Smile I appreciate it!
Nice. Some subjective critique. I slightly disagree with the panning. The LCRish drums combined with the more centered guitars and total stereo keyboards start to give impression that musicians are somewhere between the cymbals and kick drum on the imaginable sound stage. This type of stereo image of course works on other genres, but I think it would require almost uniform stereo image build with rhythm guitar double takes, more pad like keyboard playing and sound etc. In another words different kind of production. It would be safer to pan the instruments closer to real stage set up and more like point sources, even at the expense of static balance in the stereo image. Your approach would definetly work for 'bigger' sound, if there were more instruments/tracks to fill out the image more evenly. But like I said, highly subjective, and there is nothing 'wrong' with your approch, and it seems to work for listeners. And I too like the clarity and punch, and the subtle ambience, and the overall quality of your work. Keep up the good work!
I like the basic sound, but when guitar solo starts energy drops quite unnaturally. Hi-hat is poking quite strongly here and there.
(25-09-2016, 07:27 PM)Arcodar Wrote: Mixed in Reaper. Headroom is -4.1db

-

-------------------

Arcodar,

First, thanks much for the compliments!!! I think your mix is great! Well balanced. Nice control over all the instruments, including the drums. And, nice job controlling that organ without crushing it since there were some rogue frequencies in the solo especially that really poked out but you got a great balance with the proper energy. My buddy Jerry Mack (who has played with some greats and quite famous Jazz musicians). I played the bass lines into a midi guitar converter thingy triggering Scarbee bass (love those samples). Nice effect on the end of the guitar solo too!!! That is what I was looking for....it's an abrupt end to the solo leaving the engineer the opportunity to do something creative with it.....and you delivered.

Thanks again for mixing my song (and the compliments)......

Peace,

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(09-11-2016, 02:41 AM)tjmtruth Wrote:

-

-------------------

Arcodar,

First, thanks much for the compliments!!! I think your mix is great! Well balanced. Nice control over all the instruments, including the drums. And, nice job controlling that organ without crushing it since there were some rogue frequencies in the solo especially that really poked out but you got a great balance with the proper energy. My buddy Jerry Mack played the organ......well he played it on a midi keyboard triggering a most excellent B3 sound (he has played with some great and quite famous Jazz musicians). I played the bass lines into a midi guitar converter thingy triggering Scarbee bass (love those samples). Nice effect on the end of the guitar solo too!!! That is what I was looking for....it's an abrupt end to the solo leaving the engineer the opportunity to do something creative with it.....and you delivered!!

Peace,

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(09-11-2016, 02:44 AM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(09-11-2016, 02:41 AM)tjmtruth Wrote:

-

-------------------

Arcodar,

First, thanks much for the compliments!!! I think your mix is great! Well balanced. Nice control over all the instruments, including the drums. And, nice job controlling that organ without crushing it since there were some rogue frequencies in the solo especially that really poked out but you got a great balance with the proper energy. My buddy Jerry Mack played the organ......well he played it on a midi keyboard triggering a most excellent B3 sound (he has played with some great and quite famous Jazz musicians). I played the bass lines into a midi guitar converter thingy triggering Scarbee bass (love those samples). Nice effect on the end of the guitar solo too!!! That is what I was looking for....it's an abrupt end to the solo leaving the engineer the opportunity to do something creative with it.....and you delivered!!

Peace,

Tom

I realy can't express my gratidude for replying on my mix here! It is always great to hear the words of the owner and beign positive! This is just great for me! Thank you so much!!!