Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Inner Circle
The drums were very ambient and I felt that they sounded somewhat separate to the rest of the instruments. this was do to the many drum mic employed.

I edited out as much of the drum room bleed as I could and then added artificial reverb to the kit. I wanted a dry sound for the drums, because I thought that would make them sound tighter.

I mixed and bounced the kick drum to a single mono track and I also did the same for the snare. I mixed and bounced the toms to a stereo track as well.
I got rid of the drum room tracks and then mixed the rest of the drums.

Doing all of this helped to conserve cpu.

I had done similar consolidating for the rest of the tracks, for instance I bounced the guitar parts down to single mono tracks and the bgv to a stereo track. GTRGRP1, GTRGRP2, GTRGRP3 and BGVGRP.

I added reverb tails to certain lyrical point during the song.

I made the kick drum stand out as well as the bass for impact, I don't know if it was the right choice for everybody but I kept coming back to that vibe so I made it so.

Overall I tried to make the song as airy and ambient as possible with all of the guitar parts kind of swirling around each other not having any one part more dominant than the others.

I think this approach is most evident in the area of the song were the vocalist uses an ostanato, "I can feel it all around me".

MIXBUSS:
Softube C1
Satin
Presswerk
FG_x

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

.mp3    The Inner Circle.mp3 --  (Download: 12.22 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(25-09-2016, 03:34 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: Overall I tried to make the song as airy and ambient as possible with all of the guitar parts kind of swirling around each other not having any one part more dominant than the others.

There are some nice very elements to this mix. I like the ambient guitar. Vocals sounds good also. One comment; the soundstage is quite extreme in that you have the ambient guitar way back, then (possibly dry) hard panned guitars left and right (and the levels are different left to right) ... I found both those elements a bit distracting. Drums were generally well processed, but I felt maybe a touch more compression to lock them in place within the mix.

Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(05-10-2016, 05:44 PM)jeffd42 Wrote:
(25-09-2016, 03:34 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: Overall I tried to make the song as airy and ambient as possible with all of the guitar parts kind of swirling around each other not having any one part more dominant than the others.

There are some nice very elements to this mix.

I do see you point about the guitars being displaced. I was going for separation and wanted the guitars to be distinguishable by their parts. The syncopated riff verses the strumming parts. The middle of the sound stage tends to be were all of the mid range frequencies fight to be, so that was also part of my reasoning. Sometimes not all of my mixing choices pay off. I did place the ambient guitar in the rear because its ambient and I felt its role was more backing than anything else. My mind set from the start was to try and achieve the separation similar to Tool's Lateralus, which I think I failed on my part. I really appreciate your feedback and time you took to write. Cheers.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1