Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revelations - Hard time mixing this one.
Awful lot of noise in this one that I have attempted to clear up. Always had a difficult time mixing with a lot of spill as well, put a lot of attention in to clearing up the low end rumble that seemed to be present in every track.

Also mixed entirely on headphones at risk of death by a flu'd up misses Big Grin
I tend to mix the low end too low with these, still getting used to them and they're nothing special.

Mixed with studio one and stock plugins plus a few freebie vst's.

Comments more than welcome.

.mp3    Revelations.mp3 --  (Download: 8.08 MB)

Listening with headphones, it sounds pretty good comatosed. Maybe a little mid range heavy for my taste, but I'm guessing this may have been part of your solution to the tape noise. I don't remember the noise level being too much of a concern when I mixed this one. I guess the rumble is easily sorted with high pass filters. As for the tape hiss, I found this quite manageable as long as I didn't go emphasising any of the high freqs within the tracks, which from memory I didn't really need to. It sounds like you may have compressed things a bit harder than I would with a track like this and in doing so this will raise the noise floor considerably also. The compression decisions is purely subjective though. As for the bleed, I think the best way is to use it to your advantage rather than to fight it. If the recordings are great, then working with the live bleed can yield wonderful results if processed confidently. It's also a great learning experience at the same time.

All things considered and the fact that you mixed it with cans, you have done a great job.

Dave

Cheers, Dave.

I wouldn't say the noise was a concern, I just didn't like it. The rumble was easily sorted with filtering, I just haven't had to do that much of it before, but I'm still learning.

The bleed is something I'm going to have to get used to. My band has a gig this weekend and we're recording it, hoping to get a couple of really good ones out of it for a disc, even if it means overdubbing a couple of things. It's the reason I'm having a go at this mixing thing in the first place. And the fact I've found I really enjoy it!

On to the next project.
Mixing completely ITB with Studio One 3.