Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Piece of me (mix / master)
Hi guys, this is my version of this song, I spent so much time to mix and remix until my ears weren't satisfied.
I used for mixing Ozone 5 (only EQ & Comp)
For mastering I used Ozone, Nova and t-racks. (personal chain)

Hope you like it. Rate and comment.
Thankssssss Big Grin

EDIT: added 2 version

.mp3    DarkRide - Piece of me.mp3 --  (Download: 4.84 MB)

.mp3    DarkRide - Piece of me REMIX 2 VERSION.mp3 --  (Download: 4.86 MB)

Puh, it's distorted, harsh and not a very good mix at all. You have to get back to the basics and get the volume level of each track right before applying any sort of eq and comp. Sorry to say that bro, don't wanna hurt your feelings, but it is what it is. If you dont use reference tracks then this should be the day to start.
Thanks for you honestly bro, I'll try to remix it again and then I'll repost here the second version.

Thank you!!
(17-09-2016, 11:12 AM)Sebastian Wrote: Hi guys, this is my version of this song, I spent so much time to mix and remix until my ears weren't satisfied.

I would second the comment on tonality.

But there are good things in things also: The mix balance seems solid. Haven't looked at the multi-tracks to see what was printed in by way of effects, but assuming you've added most of them (distortion etc), those seem well judged also.

To get the EQ balance right, it may help to have a reference track sitting there, and go back and forth while mixing. (I find my ears get tired, and I start misjudging the lows and highs quickly, without being able to recalibrate to a known reference every 30 min or so!)

Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Thanks for your advice jeffd42!!

I updated the 2 version, the sound is the same but the mix is totally different. Tell me guys what do you think about that Smile
Thanks!
Hey Sebastian, I think the second mix is an improvement on the first one in that the master bus isn't so crushed. If I were you, the biggest thing I would work on is the drums. For one, balance--the hi-hat is the loudest thing going on in some parts, and it should really be kick and snare in this case. I would work on getting your kick and snare louder, and work on their tones so that they better cut through the mix and sound full at the same time (hard to do, this takes lots of practice and learning what you want to hear). Getting good drum tones starts with good phase alignment between the different mics and samples. The drums sound so thin to me that I'm pretty sure the tracks are out of phase, unless you did some super drastic EQ that made them thin. With proper phase the body of the sound will come back, and the sound should be like 70-80% there with no effects. Then, it will be eaiser to add EQ and compression that enhance the sound.

One other note, the acoustic guitar seemed too loud to me.

Good luck, keep at it!
"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind" - Duke Ellington
Hi tylermays, you're right the project is the same with the only difference that I pulled down all faders and I remixed all the tracks from begin.

For hi-hat yes I know it's too loud (my bad I forgot to pull down ahaha)

I can say that the sound is thin because I applied an EQ in low frequencies 'cause I don't like to hear too many lows (maybe I cut too).

By the way thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it. I hope I'll do better next time Smile