Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WessMeetsWest - Alexander Birch Mix
So this was hard, way to many guitar tracks, more than needed tbh but tried to use all of them.

Found the snare quite challenging to make punch under the wall of everything else and Im always pretty anal when it comes to diling in snares so this process probably took the longest time.

It was quite a while back when I mixed this so I cant remember any specific issues unfortunately.

Anyways have a listen and if you get a chance check out my website alex-birch.com!

Thanks,

Alex

.mp3    WessMeetsWest_64Bristol.TAKE_2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.23 MB)

Hello Alex,

I like the clarity of your mix, and the punch of the drums - something I still have to work on probably.

Here are some things I did differently when I mixed this song (and I agree with the "too many tracks" comment btwSmile ) - take these with care, I'm still learning about mixing.

- Lower drums level. I feel like drums are in front of the guitars in your mix, and I assumed that given the number of guitar tracks these were the most important tracks for the author.
- Automate drums level (e.g. around 1:25 the snare sound on the left feels too loud to me. Same around 2:15, it feels too "rhythmic" to me)
- Around 3:00 : I increased the level of "46_ElecGtr19Mic1" to make it more distinct. Otherwise it feels to me there's a lack of a lead in this part and I get bored.
- Not sure about this one, but I'd put more bass overall.
- A technical thing: not sure it's relevant, but I heard several people say that it's better if a mix doesn't clip at 0dB (but instead at around -0.2/-0.5) to leave room for interpolation algorithms that would create clipping otherwise. Probably not extremely important, but who knows Smile

Hope this helps !

Moussa

Cheers for the input man! I think maybe I got a bit attached to the drums since i spent so long working on the snare compared to anything else... ^^

But ye I think you are right, that left snare at 1.25 is a bit high in the mix, I dont think there is much automation on here at all, I get a tad lazy towards the end of the mix process...

I will have to go look up which one 46_ElecGtr19Mic1 was. Will take me a while to find it. haha

Let me know when you put yours up and I will have a listen!

Thanks,

Alex