Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 400th post
Another song I mixed. A little brighter than usual, but I think that it works.

.mp3    DW 1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.04 MB)

No samples used to replace drums
hi there,

good balance i like it....there's need just a kick!!!
(09-09-2016, 09:58 AM)Obelix Wrote: Another song I mixed. A little brighter than usual, but I think that it works.

Hi Obelix, the kick in this set of multis is a trigger track, it wasn't recorded with a microphone at all, it was recorded with a trigger device to capture only the initial transient of the kick so that it could be replaced with a kick sample after the fact. It's not meant to be used as is.

I've noticed alot of people on here uploading "sample free" mixes on here and completely overlooking the fact that the kick drum is supposed to be replaced and just boosting the low end on the raw trigger track. You can do that but it will make the kick sound weird in the mix and messes with the relationship between the kick and bass causing some nasty low end resonance. If you're going to mix this track, it's best to find some drum replacement software ( I personally use EZDrummer 2 and a free trigger software called KTDrumTrigger for this) or find someone who has access to samples to trigger it for you.

Anyway, overall the mix does sound good for not having sample replaced drums, the snare ring is pretty controlled but it really dosen't have the power to punch through. Also the toms are pretty dead sounding. Overall I think sample replacing or reinforcing the drums with similarly tuned samples would bring more energy to the mix as the guitars, bass, and vocals all sound more polished than the drums at this point.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6