Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of 'If You Say'.
This is my mix of 'If You Say'. Any comments would be much appreciated... Thank you.

.mp3    James May - If You Say Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.85 MB)

Join my 'Mix n' Share' group on Facebook @ http://goo.gl/tRBOqe
You handled the acoustic guitars really well. What was your chain?
I think the vocals are a little hot but that's a preferential choice. I haven't mixed this one myself but I'm thinking a slower attack time on the vocal. I like to hear that 8k range pop but again, that's preference.
I like the wideness of the low end. That's probably my favorite part of the mix.
What was the mastering chain on this?
First off, thank you for the review.. I appreciate it!

The acoustic guitars, they both have a Renaissance compressor and EQ and reverb. The EQ on the one has a 4.4dB boost at 158hz and a 1.5dB boost at 469hz and a 3.3dB boost at 6258hz.
The other one has a 3.8dB boost at 216hz and a 3.8dB boost at 2767hz and a 3.3dB boost at 9793hz. There's of course a high pass filter on both.

The vocal, I might be mixing it a bit hot since I'm used to mixing rap music plus I'm a singer myself, hehe Smile
Thank you for the advice with the 8k, that sounds amazing!

And I haven't mastered it at all, this is only a mix.
(05-09-2016, 11:21 AM)Detra Wrote: I'm used to mixing rap music

8k is the ticket! Obviously use your ears to find what you would deem the sweet spot per performance. Sometimes it's 6k, sometimes it's 10k. It depends on the mic, the singer, the room, and a million other things that add up very quickly.

Make sure you carve out some space in the other tracks, especially the hi hats if they're on their own track. I've only worked on two rap projects ever and neither time was I lucky enough to get stems. It's always just a bounce of the instrumental that some dude made and there's no way to get a multitrack mix down. If you carve out space over a whole instrumental like that, you might just feel there's a brightness missing that vocals alone won't make up for.

Look at me rambling.

Also if you're gonna boost those frequencies on the guitars, you should probably dip them out a bit in the other tracks as necessary. You can add a tight Q for each frequency on each different track and see if it gets muddy or whistly when you turn it up. If it does you'll know to carve space there so that the guitars can shine. This is clearly a guitar and singer song, with other things as accompaniment.

Anyway, listening to your mix again I'm still a fan. If you go back and mix it again I'd love to hear it with that brighter vocal!
You know, my trick, cause I had a few guys doing that... Put on some EQ, pump up the bass some and then add a bit of highs, then add a limiter and turn up as much as you possibly can get out of it! Then you return it and get the money for a full mix... Cause to them, well it got louder and it had more bassdrum... Exactly what they would get if they send it to a dj for mixing. But they think it's awesome.

(05-09-2016, 08:19 PM)JadeWilliamson Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 11:21 AM)Detra Wrote: I'm used to mixing rap music

8k is the ticket! Make sure you carve out some space in the other tracks, especially the hi hats if they're on their own track. I've only worked on two rap projects ever and neither time was I lucky enough to get stems. It's always just a bounce of the instrumental that some dude made and there's no way to get a multitrack mix down. If you carve out space over a whole instrumental like that, you might just feel there's a brightness missing that vocals alone won't make up for.

Look at me rambling.

As long as the bills are getting paid, keep doing what you're doing!

Also, I sent a request for your Facebook group!