Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sing With Me - jtbStudio
This was a good, fun track to mix - you know you've done something right when your head keeps bopping up and down, even after you've listened to the song a thousand times Smile And I don't even like this style of music Rolleyes

The toughest thing was, of course, getting the kick and bass working together, to be full-sounding, but still tight. I beefed up the kick with some samples, and did the same with the bass using Guitar Rig, and added saturation to help them cut through. I boosted the kick at around 125Hz, and cut the bass at the same, then boosted the bass at 200Hz and 260Hz, and cut the kick at the same. Normally, this kind of complementary EQ is enough for me, but I added a few dB of multiband compression between 100-200Hz on the kick, side-chained in from the bass, and it made all the difference. Mike Senior mentioned in his Mix Rescue article the problem one has with the kick and bass overwhelming the mix when they hit together, but sometimes sounding a bit thin on their own, and this was my attempt to address that.

Once I had the bottom end working, the rest was pretty straight-forward. Mike had some neat ideas when it came to editing the song, some of which I shamelessly stole, and added a few of my own. His mix is probably more true to the genre, but coming from a rock & blues background, I like the wideness and fullness of my mix Smile

.mp3    Sing With Me (jtbStudio).mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com