Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quicksand - my mix
Great song. Here is my mix. Please leave feedback, and I will leave feedback for yours.

Bradders

.mp3    quickand.mp3 --  (Download: 3.69 MB)

needs bass Big Grin

the top end of the vocals are too strident.
Stream of consciousness here as I listen... the bass is a little...or more... too meaty. You might want to ease up on the limiter ( I am a bad abuser of these as well). I find the tom in the right ear distracting. You may want to center it a bit so I don't feel like my head is between the snare and the floor tom. Everything is clear and present, so you are doing well.
If you appreciate my feedback, please visit one of my mixes and give your thoughts.
(02-09-2016, 03:48 PM)mingus Wrote: Stream of consciousness here as I listen... the bass is a little...or more... too meaty. You might want to ease up on the limiter ( I am a bad abuser of these as well). I find the tom in the right ear distracting. You may want to center it a bit so I don't feel like my head is between the snare and the floor tom. Everything is clear and present, so you are doing well.

Thanks for the feedback! I like to mix drums as if I were sat behind the kit, must be the drummer in me, but I probably need to get out of that mindset and try and do what serves the song better I guess.
Hey Bradders, overall this is a good starting point for your mix.

However, I did notice somethings that need improvement:

* as Mingus said the limiter here is working hard and squashing the trainsients too much. I would back it down alittle and use less compression (also instead of using a limiter to tame peaks, I find that using a soft clipper pulling 1-2 dB of gain reduction before the limiter yields a more natural result. just use the limiter for a volume boost).

* The mix overall is balanced but I'm noticing that it sounds a touch bright, the high hat chick sound in the left is quite loud and the solo guitar is really strident and harsh sounding. I found that the Overheads had plenty of hi hat in them so I didn't use the hi hat mic at all. Also using a low pass filter at about 7 kHz on the solo guitar will tame the top end of it and make it fit better in the mix.

*the drums sound good, I personally replaced the kick and snare with samples to get a punchier sound and scrapped the tom mics because the Overheads had a nice capture of the toms and the rest of the kit, but the drums work well with the sound you're going for.

Cheers,and hope this helps,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6