Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not You Mix
This one was very fun to mix. The guitars ended up being duller than I wanted, but I can always go back and fix that, but I wanted to call it quits on this one and just present what I got after three days of mixing. As always, any criticism is welcome, and I hope you enjoy.

.mp3    WFFTE_Not_You_Post-Mix_2_.mp3 --  (Download: 3.36 MB)

I hear a lot of cool things in this but the overall tone is bad. I would turn of all your processing on instruments and put it back on one by one to make sure that it is improving the sound how you want it. Then separate the instruments more, getting them to punch away from each other. Dont be shy boosting some 5-12k on some instruments to make them shine.
(24-08-2016, 05:26 AM)Imagine Mix Studio Wrote: I hear a lot of cool things in this but the overall tone is bad. I would turn of all your processing on instruments and put it back on one by one to make sure that it is improving the sound how you want it. Then separate the instruments more, getting them to punch away from each other. Dont be shy boosting some 5-12k on some instruments to make them shine.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I mixed these on my speakers which I usually don't do because of my room, but my headphone jack on my interface broke, so I had to mix with the bad reflections of my room. Unfortunately it came pretty dull now that I hear it on headphones. I'll remix the whole thing and see how it goes now.
i wouldn't redo it from scratch. I would a/b check your inserts one at a time, one instrument at a time and make them sound how you imagine them to. compensate for level so your sure it is not just making it louder. When everything important(drums, bass, vocal, gtr) sounds good solo, proceed mixing the whole and make adjustments as a whole.
I decided to mix this, It is a fun song. I've got my static mix finished automation and fine tuning left and i will post it. I see gtr 1-2 recordings are not very good, that tone recorded is awful, lol. I spent over an hour just on that one track.
(25-08-2016, 10:17 AM)Imagine Mix Studio Wrote: I decided to mix this, It is a fun song. I've got my static mix finished automation and fine tuning left and i will post it. I see gtr 1-2 recordings are not very good, that tone recorded is awful, lol. I spent over an hour just on that one track.

Yeah, it feels like there is no good area to boost them to make them sound more full, and they are a little too distorted for a studio recording. I'm already working on the remix, but I'm getting so tired of mixing these guitars I really need to take a break. But overall, it's an energetic song, and the bass isn't quite as bad as it seems at first if you just run it through a good amp sim.