Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WD Quick Mix
(25-08-2016, 06:38 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: Thanks for the explanations. Looking at the spectral graph which i've attached for info, it's bad. damp surely wouldn't help, but the low end response is nowhere to be seen, falling off dramatically from 300Hz, coupled with a big loss in the treble at 4kHz. this can't be fixed in the mix, sadly. i've had a go at mixing it, but i ended up trying to cover the defects with distortion - as they say, if you can't fix it, destroy it some more! it's a shame really.

(26-08-2016, 01:30 PM)SpontaniousGmbH Wrote: i see two things here

1. (...)

2. the distance between singer and mic is pretty big...not the best for a dynamic mic...therfore one can hear all the reflections and harshness....

I think you're both right. Metallurgist, we didn't alter the frequency response of the microphones with EQ's before providing the stems here apart from (way lower!) low-cuts - the distance is simply wrong. Our engineer admitted it to have caused exactly the problems you're having with the tracks. Our singer Naomi sings with lots of shifting dynamics in different parts which causes a temptation to vary her distance to the microphone instead of releveling the preamp for every part - and this pays back now. There's a loss of low-end in some parts because the proximity effect vanishes with growing distance of the signal source to the microphone, making the voice sounding less full and more harsh (you can hear that on the NT1-A-track of the guitars as well, there's no richness in that track and we've only used it for presence because it's placed about three meters from the amp) and adding other sound sources like reflections and resonances of the room.

We're still in the process of learning and we will do better next time. Thanks for your feedback!

1. if they recorded it like seen in the video, one mic is a rode nt-1a wich is pretty flat sounding except of a strong HF Boost, the other one is a sennheiser md421. i guess the one on the spectrum could be the sennheiser wich has a lofreq roll of starting from around 125hz. and has a dip around 4khz

2. the distance between singer and mic is pretty big...not the best for a dynamic mic...therfore one can hear all the reflections and harshness....

what do you guys think?

I thought the same thing when I saw the video. I was curious if that video of the singer was the real video of her recording. If it was, she was too far from the mic, which would explain not having much warmth due to proximity effect.
Indeed, it is. We'll take care about that for our next recordings.
(06-09-2016, 11:58 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote:
(25-08-2016, 06:38 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: Thanks for the explanations. Looking at the spectral graph which i've attached for info, it's bad. damp surely wouldn't help, but the low end response is nowhere to be seen, falling off dramatically from 300Hz, coupled with a big loss in the treble at 4kHz. this can't be fixed in the mix, sadly. i've had a go at mixing it, but i ended up trying to cover the defects with distortion - as they say, if you can't fix it, destroy it some more! it's a shame really.

1. (...)

I think you're both right. Metallurgist, we didn't alter the frequency response of the microphones with EQ's before providing the stems here apart from (way lower!) low-cuts - the distance is simply wrong. Our engineer admitted it to have caused exactly the problems you're having with the tracks. Our singer Naomi sings with lots of shifting dynamics in different parts which causes a temptation to vary her distance to the microphone instead of releveling the preamp for every part - and this pays back now. There's a loss of low-end in some parts because the proximity effect vanishes with growing distance of the signal source to the microphone, making the voice sounding less full and more harsh (you can hear that on the NT1-A-track of the guitars as well, there's no richness in that track and we've only used it for presence because it's placed about three meters from the amp) and adding other sound sources like reflections and resonances of the room.

i really appreciate this added, indeed invaluable contribution to the discussion.....it's great that you were able to get a handle on the root cause - nice problem solving.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(09-08-2016, 08:41 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: Hi guys,

I ran the raw tracks through my DAW for fun with some of my preferred signal chains. It's heavily overcompressed and lacking lots of balance, but whatev. Smile

Running on Logic Pro X with Waves plugins.

Cheers

Till, on a bit of a tangent here but are you and Forkupines still recording together? Haven't heard much of them lately and was just wondering how it's going for those guys!

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(18-09-2016, 02:25 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Till, on a bit of a tangent here but are you and Forkupines still recording together? Haven't heard much of them lately and was just wondering how it's going for those guys!

Cheers,
Dcp

The Forkupines are starting the recordings of their first album next week with drum tracking. I'll be responsible for tracking guitars, bass and vocals, but not for the mixing or mastering this time - still I got a deal with Skotty (Singer and guitarist, head of the band) so the band will release at least one of the songs here again. Smile
(09-08-2016, 08:41 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: I ran the raw tracks through my DAW for fun with some of my preferred signal chains. It's heavily overcompressed and lacking lots of balance, but whatev. Smile
Cheers

Now that I'm familiar with the multitracks, taking a listen to a few other mixes, and thought I'd start with the "official one". Balance sounds good -- except for a few places where guitars either sound a bit to quiet or loud. Buildup of low-mids also a problem, and I second an earlier comment about getting a bit more tail (reverb, samples, something) onto the snare.

Speaking of drums, I had particular trouble with the overheads and room mics -- couldn't get the balance to sit right. Noted you brought them up selectively in parts of the mix (I ended up doing likewise).

It's a great song. Very nice lead vocal. Reminded me of Halestorm. (I particularly like the CLA mixed albums of theirs. Similar hard rock/metal band with female lead vocal.)
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(05-10-2016, 03:45 PM)jeffd42 Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 08:41 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: I ran the raw tracks through my DAW for fun with some of my preferred signal chains. It's heavily overcompressed and lacking lots of balance, but whatev. Smile
Cheers

Now that I'm familiar with the multitracks, taking a listen to a few other mixes, and thought I'd start with the "official one". Balance sounds good -- except for a few places where guitars either sound a bit to quiet or loud. Buildup of low-mids also a problem, and I second an earlier comment about getting a bit more tail (reverb, samples, something) onto the snare.

Speaking of drums, I had particular trouble with the overheads and room mics -- couldn't get the balance to sit right. Noted you brought them up selectively in parts of the mix (I ended up doing likewise).

It's a great song. Very nice lead vocal. Reminded me of Halestorm. (I particularly like the CLA mixed albums of theirs. Similar hard rock/metal band with female lead vocal.)

Hi again, Jeff.
Don't get confused - this is NOT the official mix but my private one. The official mix can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gn4r9VdDm0
And to my mix: Good that you mention the CLA processing. I use mainly waves plugins and my alltime-compressor is the CLA-76 (though I've had the possibility to work with a "real" outboard compressor, Warm Audio WA-1176, and let me tell you that there is indeed a difference in sound).

Cheers,
Till Smile