Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Lead Inc: 'The Inner Circle' kapu mix
(13-08-2016, 12:46 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Hey Kapu, I'm basing these comments off of the alternate mix version of the track.

The mix has a huge and epic atmosphere about it, but the snare and toms are really spacey sounding with all the mono room...

All right, I admit it was ridiculous. I did a revise and turned down the room mics a bit, although I tried to maintain the garagy warehousy feel. Tweaked the bass a little too. I hope it's better know. ^_^
I did a completely new mix. Tried to improve the separation, and at least I can hear the bass now. ^_^
Overall, levels good, balance good.

Got the right reverb balance to sound epic, without being washed out. Nice.

Drums & Bass: Love the Kick Drum and Base. They fit together well. Snare could use a little work — it gets lost in the mix. Kick might benefit from a bit of a cut in the 350-500Hz region (boxiness).

Guitars: Lound-and-proud, but without being too fatiguing. Nice use of reverbs to layer.

Vocals: Noted the spot vocal FX throughout. But seemed like the vocal was just a touch naked, although it has that long pre-delay reverb. Maybe something else -- delay, ambiance, short plate — might fill that out a little, so it fits better.

Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(05-10-2016, 04:16 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Overall, levels good, balance ...

Thanks for feedback. Did you listen the never version, because I tried to address some of those issues on the later one. Of course there's still room for improvement, as it is a static mix.
(06-10-2016, 11:53 PM)kapu Wrote: Did you listen the never version.

I only listened to "new mix" version, so might well be on the right track. It was a very good mix (didn't spot that it was a static mix, in which case it's definitely a good base for fishing up with some automation). Thought the drums came through particularly well (my only comment was on the snare getting lost in places).

The other comments, take more as my personal tastes (on the vocal treatments etc.)!
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(07-10-2016, 12:30 AM)jeffd42 Wrote: I only listened to "new mix" version ...

Ok. The new version was supposed to be the better one. Smile Clearly there's some work left to be done, especially in the 'middle' part where the drummer starts to play more complex beat. There are some 'bad' drum hits here and there through out the song, which would require some editing, but I don't think I'm going there with this song. ^_^