Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Lead Inc: 'The Inner Circle' kapu mix
I tried to do this one quickly, but ended up tweaking back and forth for three hours.

.m4a    lead_inc-__the_inner_circle__kapu_mix.m4a --  (Download: 13.39 MB)

.m4a    lead_inc-__the_inner_circle-kapu-mix-new.m4a --  (Download: 13.51 MB)

Hey Kapu,

nice mix! Big and spacey, epic. I like the dense snare and how you glued bass guitar and kick together. Good work!

Cheers
Hey Kapu

Sounds well balanced and glued together ,love the depth and space one thing I have to work on.

Well Done Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(09-08-2016, 08:29 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: Hey Kapu,

nice mix! Big and spacey, epic. I like the dense snare and how you glued bass guitar and kick together. Good work!

Cheers

(09-08-2016, 11:54 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Kapu

Sounds well balanced and glued together ,love the depth and space one thing I have to work on.

Well Done Big Grin.

Thanks guys! I think the sense of space just comes from the lower "mastering" RMS level compared to the other tracks. Nothing special on the kick and bass also. The usual eq and comp. I just tried to set their levels very carefully. Nice if that worked. Smile
Sounds great with headphones on kapu. Definitely a big sound, nice clarity and cohesion thoughout. I like the snare sound but thought it lacked some focus. But if Till likes it, it's got to be ok. Smile Well Done

Dave
I have to admit that I liked kick and snare more in your first mix, Kapu. Just as Dave said, both lost some focus and because of the enhanced room (?) the whole mix lost some definition. The overheads are messing with the vocals and overall it's super bright.. You should take a few steps back and re-do your changes with more caution. Just my honest opinion.

Cheers,
Till
(11-08-2016, 01:07 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Sounds great with headphones on kapu. Definitely a big sound, nice clarity and cohesion thoughout. I like the snare sound but thought it lacked some focus. But if Till likes it, it's got to be ok. Smile Well Done

Dave

(11-08-2016, 01:42 PM)wurstdrummer Wrote: I have to admit that I liked kick and snare more in your first mix, Kapu. Just as Dave said, both lost some focus and because of the enhanced room (?) the whole mix lost some definition. The overheads are messing with the vocals and overall it's super bright.. You should take a few steps back and re-do your changes with more caution. Just my honest opinion.

Cheers,
Till

Tank you for feedback. You're talking about that mixb thing? It was actually completely new mix with different kind of approach. I did some adjustments and renamed it as alternative mix. There's actually no artificial room or reverb on the drums. There's a lot less processing in general compared to the first mix and yes, it might be a bit on the bright side. I mixed it mostly with dynamic closed back headphones.
Sounds very compressed and the snare sounds like someone hitting a dustbin lid.
When have you ever heard a snare drum sound like that?its a relentless dustbin smash .
Be ok mixed in. The mix sounds like your trying too hard to make it hit home.
Chill out a bit.
(12-08-2016, 12:21 AM)takka360 Wrote: Sounds very compressed and the snare sounds like someone hitting a dustbin lid.
When have you ever heard a snare drum sound like that?its a relentless dustbin smash .
Be ok mixed in. The mix sounds like your trying too hard to make it hit home.
Chill out a bit.

Thanks! The glorious dustbin effect on snare comes from the mono room track, although I was after "hitting-tree-trunks-in-frozen-forest-with-baseball-bat" sound. ^_^
Hey Kapu, I'm basing these comments off of the alternate mix version of the track.

The mix has a huge and epic atmosphere about it, but the snare and toms are really spacey sounding with all the mono room being pushed up. It seems like everything else in the room is being pushed up with it and is detracting from the rest of the mix. I did a similar thing in my mix but I used the stereo room track sidechain gate that would only open on the snare and tom hits. From there I used a reverb with a medium short decay to add some more ambiance to the room without being too over the top. I think that might get you closer to the effect you're looking for on the snare and toms without making the rest of the mix lose it's focus and impact.
From there I really can't say much else that hasn't already been said, good mix overall but giving your ears a rest and going back to the drawing board to revise it would make it better

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6