Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Say - my mix - want tips on this session...
I read your tips, Mike. Thanks!

This is a mix still in progress.

Im still looking for guidance. For whatever reason, this track is hard for me. I'm really trying to reign in the upright bass. So far Ive used multiband compress from 0-200 to help even out some of the low end notes that really pop out. I also boosted 1k and 5k a little to get more of the bass "pluck" and detail happening. I ran my bass buss folder in Reaper through a parallel comp to bring some more of the higher notes out. Still having some issues keeping it even though. Im doing volume automation as well.

Id say keeping the low end even and driving the tune is hard especially with the arrangement choices of going up the neck allot on the bass part.

Basically what I am hearing on this track as far as what I "want" is a full bass part - a sort of priority bass part - thusly the detail Im trying to get from it. I like the bass and its details chugging along with the vocals. Im having difficulty finding how to achieve that without covering up other instruments or crowding too much...

Theres also some issue with the lower frequency guitar notes and bass notes when they are playing the same note. Currently trying to eq some lows out of the guitar to lessen that without thinning the guitar too much... although a slightly thinner guitar almost sounds like a small body guitar youd hear in some music such as this...

I haven't applied vocal reverb or effects really - I want to get this hammered down first.

Any tips are welcome.

.mp3    James May If You Say(Aaron Campbell practice mix).mp3 --  (Download: 4.88 MB)