Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Noise - I'd Rather Be Drinkin'
Cool that these guys recorded another song. I was originally going for a live small club sound but it sort of morphed into a big arena Smile I made a few timing adjustment, but could have done more. The solo guitar sound wasn't what I was originally aiming for, but it sort of reminds me of Led Zeppelin's Travelling Riverside Blues, so I kept it. I also put some flanging on the rhythm guitar in a few places for effect.

I'm happy with the bottom end, but went in circles with the upper mids until I decided to stop because I was just splitting hairs. It's a live sound after all. I definitely need to work on my mastering skills. I can never seems to get my stuff as loud as others seem to. Then again, I'm just using the stock Reaper ReaComp and ReaXComp for my "mastering".

UPDATE:

Guess the answer to the upper mids is there isn't enough. That's what happens when you don't take breaks Smile I'll be back with an update after giving my ears a rest.

.mp3    Street Noise - I\'d Rather Be Drinkin\'.mp3 --  (Download: 7.76 MB)

.mp3    Street Noise - I\'d Rather Be Drinkin\' - Final.mp3 --  (Download: 7.76 MB)

I like your mix parnellij, It certainly sounds like a live performance. Listening with headphones I'm hearing the slightly harsh upper mid issues that you are worried about. Seems to be across the whole mix so it's possibly a fatigue thing. A good thing to sort out first thing in the morning with fresh ears. I don't know if I'd be too worried about the whole loudness thing. As long as it sounds great and is dynamically complete. A lot of my mixes are the same and I guess that we all have volume controls. Smile

Dave
I've posted my final mix. I'm really happy with this one. I backed off the multiband final compression quite a bit and took the time to finesse the little details. There was definitely too much energy up at 10k and not enough around 6k. I toned down some of that insane reverb as well, and the whole thing is much tighter. I also replaced that nasty cymbal sample and added some hi hat to the drum hits at the beginning and end. This time I took more breaks and referenced commercial recordings in between.
(02-08-2016, 10:16 AM)parnellij Wrote: I've posted my final mix. I'm really happy with this one. I backed off the multiband final compression quite a bit and took the time to finesse the little details. There was definitely too much energy up at 10k and not enough around 6k. I toned down some of that insane reverb as well, and the whole thing is much tighter. I also replaced that nasty cymbal sample and added some hi hat to the drum hits at the beginning and end. This time I took more breaks and referenced commercial recordings in between.

Definitely better, The best thing you did I think was backing off on the compression. The second mix sounds more dynamic and relaxed. The whole thing is breathing a bit easier.