Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd Rather Be Drinkin"
(30-07-2016, 09:51 PM)thedon Wrote: Listening on headphones ,sounds great i like the drums just a touch of boxyness around 400hz on the drums in the side channels ,I'm guessing from the stereo room or overhead track could what Kapu is also hearing.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don. Pretty much spot on with the freq. I originally gated the toms but ended up using the full 3 tom tracks in combination with overheads, really liked the full sound that this made. I think this "boxyness" was coming from these tom tracks so I have made the "400Hz" cuts here. It certainly sounds better to my ears, so hopefully it's sorted the problem. Cheers

DaveBig Grin
(31-07-2016, 12:46 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Thanks Olli, The main corrections I made were with the drums and a little with the bass. Thanks for raising the problem with the piano that was an oversight on my part and have since made some corrections in that area with mix #2. I have left the guitar part alone. I don't want to upset the natural vibe of the song by clamping it up too much.

Dave

I was also practising time aligining. My method went like this:

- I made a quess that the drum track was recorded first. So I soloed it, listend for the groove and did some small corrections to that. Just listening drums. And only couple of fixes.
- After that I opened bass track. I both listened and checked visually against kick and snare tracks the alignment of bass. I didn’t try to do exact robotic alignment, but small corrections towards the drum beat.
- Then I opened the guitar I checked that it grooved good enough with fixed bass and drums. And the same thing with piano.

Most of the time instruments were dragging behind the drums. Maybe it has to do with age, for nowadays in my gray days I have exactly the same problem with my playing. I used to be somewhat accurate but now it seems to me that I’m little bit late in everything.

(31-07-2016, 12:46 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I don't want to upset the natural vibe of the song by clamping it up too much.
If you change drums - ie. the beat others were listening while playing their parts - then you're forced to check also all the others.

I think that there’s still small problems with piano here and there
0.08, 0:15, 1:36, 1:36.

Remeber to listen the groove without vox.

But the mix sounds beautiful and natural.

(31-07-2016, 01:58 PM)Olli H Wrote:
(31-07-2016, 12:46 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Thanks Olli, The main corrections I made were with the drums and a little with the bass. Thanks for raising the problem with the piano that was an oversight on my part and have since made some corrections in that area with mix #2. I have left the guitar part alone. I don't want to upset the natural vibe of the song by clamping it up too much.

Dave

I was also practising time aligining. My method went like this:

- I made a quess that the drum track was recorded first. So I soloed it, listend for the groove and did some small corrections to that. Just listening drums. And only couple of fixes.
- After that I opened bass track. I both listened and checked visually against kick and snare tracks the alignment of bass. I didn’t try to do exact robotic alignment, but small corrections towards the drum beat.
- Then I opened the guitar I checked that it grooved good enough with fixed bass and drums. And the same thing with piano.

Most of the time instruments were dragging behind the drums. Maybe it has to do with age, for nowadays in my gray days I have exactly the same problem with my playing. I used to be somewhat accurate but now it seems to me that I’m little bit late in everything.

I'm happy to hear that your methodology is similar to mine. Gives me confidence that I might be doing something right. Drums first, then bass and then solo the other parts against this as well as checking within the whole mix. I'm not the tightest guitarist myself, so it's not an area I like to be too critical of. I've just got to make sure any corrections I make is for the better. There have been many attempts in the past with timing edits where I've just had to hit the undo button and back away defeated.

Thanks Olli
Hi Dave mix2 is alot better listening through headphones sounds niceSmile.
(01-08-2016, 02:56 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave mix2 is alot better listening through headphones sounds niceSmile.

Thanks Cudjoe. Appreciated Big Grin
(31-07-2016, 02:09 PM)Olli H Wrote:
(31-07-2016, 12:46 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I don't want to upset the natural vibe of the song by clamping it up too much.
If you change drums - ie. the beat others were listening while playing their parts - then you're forced to check also all the others.

I think that there’s still small problems with piano here and there
0.08, 0:15, 1:36, 1:36.

Remeber to listen the groove without vox.

But the mix sounds beautiful and natural.

Thanks for the coaching Olli,

I have now gone right through the piano track and have tightened it up the best I could. Hopefully it doesn't sway around to much now but still "swings" as it should. I also tightened up the drums at the ending. "Version#3"

Thanks again

Hi Dave,
Listening to version 2 sounds much better ,
Inspired me to work on timing issues also in the next remix.
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(05-08-2016, 11:36 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave,
Listening to version 2 sounds much better ,
Inspired me to work on timing issues also in the next remix.
Cheers Big Grin

Yeah, I think it's worth it. With such a strong rhythm, it's a great song for practice. Oh, and reaper's your friend with this type of editing.
I love how your vocal sits in the mix unlike mine which is buried in it. Thanks for the tips.