Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
AHOY!!!!!!!!!

Okay, no more pirate shtick. Mixed this in Mixbux32C. If anyone has seen my other threads on this song, some may recall I might have gone a touch. . . crazy(?) before. Something killed me in this track previously and i have now realized that nearly every instrument group had phase issues. Yay.

I think (hope) that I have it right by now.

YAR!

Draper

.mp3    Atrophy WHAT AGAIN.mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.67 MB)

Final Polishing

.mp3    AYTOPHY WHAT AGAIN automation.mp3 --  (Download: 12.67 MB)

Great Title. Big Grin
It might be just me but it appears that your mixes have stepped up a notch since you have been playing with the Harrison. Maybe there are some other contributing factors at play also.
I am not familiar with this song and this is my first audition. Listening with headphones the first minute into the track for me is sounds fantastic and very engaging. The guitar entry at 1:10 could be pushed a bit more IMHO adding some excitement as the song builds into the chorus where they could be unleashed altogether. Great balance and dynamics for me otherwise. You're onto something great here. Maybe just some more automation to exploit it further. Very enjoyable listen.

Dave
Thanks for the comments and the listen Dave.

I think they have too, and I think I know why. The first thing that REALLY helped my mixes was making sure my speakers were in the proper position in the room. And now with 32C, Mixbus is the most stable it's ever been. I think the reason my mixes have jumped up with it is because I'm not getting frustrated with crashes, so I've had more of a chance to learn it. Also, it really does let me use my ears more. I'm not searching for plugins most of the time now, as my compressors/limiters/sidechain are all accessible from the mix window, as well as 5 bands (i think it's 5 now) of EQ with high and low pass filters. Also the 12 busses (instead of the 8) make a huge difference for me. And the handy dandy phase meter (and the thing i almost hesitate to talk about because it feels like cheating almost) is the phase optimizer setting. It has made life so much better.

So, those are the reasons I think my mixes have improved (and I think every so often, people do go through jumps of improvement), but also I try to mix every day. I'm lucky enough that I work at a theater as lead audio, and I get to record our symphony twice a year (that DEFINITELY has made me improve my mixing), and our 150 piece chorale as well (which I am supposed to upload here, but I don't think the director has gotten back to mike senior with an affirmative about posting the multitracks).

I'll address the touchups tonight, probably.

Thank you again for the listen and the kind words!

Draper
Hi your snare feels a bit pointy,snappy what ever you want to call it on the second version ,vocal sounds good though imo.