Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My Fault DONE
Opinions? Smile

.mp3    MyMistake.mp3 --  (Download: 5.49 MB)

.mp3    MyFaultMASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 5.49 MB)

I did a lot of automation! Smile Many level changes throughout the mix. Some came out really well - some not so good.. Tongue Appreciate feedback Big Grin
Sounds like a complex mix MB...

A couple of things I'm noticing whist listening. The first and most noticeable thing for me is the vocals seem a little detached and sound like they are sitting on top of the dense sound underneath. Maybe some warmth or some width may help. Even an eq sweep and cut to match it sonically to the mix combined with gentle reverb to place it within the same space. Have to experiment I guess. I'm not familiar with the song but is sounds like there are some guitars in the heavier parts of the song that are hiding in the background that I think could be pushed forward somewhat. lastly I noticed some strange noises in the left ear during one of the quieter sections that sounded out of place. not sure what they are.

Anyhow, great work so far, sounds like it's been a lot of work. These climatic songs can take a lot of balancing andI think your balance is pretty good.

Dave.
Hi, thanks for listening. I tried to make vocals more in to the mix, but sort of stayed with out of the mix thing. They are now more in mix but also stand out as before. Added some tiny adjustments. Put more automation, gave the bass some distortion, played with piano sound, snare gate... Also I added more width to the mix that I automatized to be more audible. I automatized the parameters of 3 different width plugins. Big Grin Also duplicated the track of one guitar and moved polarity by bit.
Now it sounds sort of good - I know it can sound better. Smile What do you think?

.mp3    MyFaultForMixingThis.mp3 --  (Download: 5.49 MB)

Wrap up and master. Wink

.mp3    MyFaultMASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 5.49 MB)

Sounding Good MB. What are the strange sounds coming in @ around 0.57 in the left? The only other thing that I should have mentioned first time round is there is a little bass coming through the stereo reverse. You should try and filter that out in the mastering process 100-120hz. It will help stabilize your bottom end a bit more. I like what you have done.Smile
Hi Marconi, listenig to the final version of your mix I'm noticing that it sound quite boxy and almost out of phase. It's almost like I'm listening to it from inside a vacuum if that makes any sence.

I like the effects you've added in, especially the guitar feedback on the intro, it really makes the intro sound more complete.

The drums is where most of the problems lie in your mix. There seems to be ither a weird phase relationship with the overheads and the rest of the kit or a build up of low mids in the room or overheads. Personally I had better luck replacing the drums with samples and going from there. If you want to use the original drums try using a high pass on the overheads at 300-500 Hz to clean them up and make a scoop around 500-900 Hz to remove any mud from them. This will insure you have minimal phase problems as the low end will be in the mono close mics around the kit and the high end will be in the overheads.

I would also recommend using the DI guitar tracks and reamping them instead of blending them with the mic signals. That way you ensure that there will be no phase issues with the recorded amps and you have more freedom to get tones.

Overall you have some good ideas here but the technical aspects of the mix really seem to be holding it back and become distracting.

Hope this helps,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6