Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North To Alaska: 'All The Same'
Sounds great Don, Are you sure it's my mix you've played with. lolBig Grin Maybe I need to get you to master my mixes before I upload them. Tongue
You must have uploaded this as I was uploading an attempt at my version#3 mainly trying to get the kick bass thing to work also. Listening with headphones I like what you have done. It seems to be a fuller creamier sound overall with a more pronounced bottom end. I will have a good listen tomorrow in my studio space as a comparison to hear how it sounds through my monitors. I might have to try and find myself some old NS10's also. Interesting for the last 8 mths I been mixing mainly on some old sealed NSa526 bookshelf speakers which I must admit sound terrible but seem to work really well for me. So much better than my Rokit 5's that I've adapted them now as my main mixing monitors. They probably work in a similar way to the NS10's I guess.

Thanks again for your efforts. Very much appreciated.

Food for thought for mix#4

Dave
Hi Dave ,
Version 3 sounds much better.
I'm listening on the ns10m which were the latest version the ones with lay sideways the modified crossover and tweeter instead of using upright version which some engineers used tissue paper to tame the high end.
They actually sound Awesome to me with punchy fast transient response and pretty revealing through my home built mosfet amp especially with the krk sub to fill up the bottom end,my older auratones sound quite similar with less bottom end.
I usually use the rocket 6 to listen to a lot of reference material and mix on ,as have a smoother frequency response across the spectrum and accurate stereo image ,even though a couple of my sound engineer friends listened to my setup and have said the krk sound boring like they have a sheet thrown over them compared to the clarity of yamaha's ,I think it's a matter of training your ears on whatever monitors you have and more accurate monitors tuned with the room the better and the mastering engineer hopefully can do the fine tuning.
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for your insight Don. Sounds like you have the complete monitoring package and most importantly you know how to use them. I can agree with the monitors needing to be matched to the room. I think this is the issue I have with my Rokits. In my small room they seem to over represent the 300-800hz range makes them a bit woolly and undefined in the freqs above this (mids sound really hollowed out). I'm sure It's my room that's the problem. You have sparked some interest in me in looking out for some NS10M's now. With having some success with my other Yamaha's. I'm quite keen to hear what they would be like. As for the Auratones, I have some poor man's home made ones which do the job ok, but will keep my eye out out for some good original ones also. Mixing for me was supposed to be just a light hobby thing (as opposed to doing crosswords) but is getting more involving everyday. In saying that I wouldn't have it any other way. Big Grin Thanks again for your help.

Dave