Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North To Alaska: 'All The Same'
Hello all,

A back to basics grot box mix. Thanks for listening

Dave

.mp3    North To Alaska Mac_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

.mp3    North To Alaska _All The Same_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

Rough. Strong. NeanderthalBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Seriously, i liked so much frequency balance between kick and bass.
Sometimes guitars sound in Tom Morello's style.
Maybe slow attack on snare's compressor will make the mix more openHuh
That's a good work, Dave!
Low energy places works nicely, but hi-energy places need more work, I guess.

Although this is guitar driven song I still wonder if your loud guitars are a tad too loud?

Listen for example how kick gets masked around 0:38. From that point you might check the low-end-low-mids balances between kick-bass-guitars.

Around 1.35 guitars feel too loud if compared to snare. If you solo drums, I’m quite sure that the kick snare balance is not optimal there. Kick is very close while snare is somewhere far behind.

So, sonically I like everything, but balancewise it’s not ok yet.
Hey Dave,

Listening on my laptop, and I agree with olli. Where he thinks the guitars are too loud, i think you could just spend a little more time on your kick and snare separation and bring them up a bit. Try adding a bit of 2.8 or thereabout on the kick to help bring some of the beater out, that might help quite a bit, actually.

Sounding nice, and you're really close! Maybe bring some 300 Hz up in the bass for us listening on smaller speakers! ;-)

Draper
(19-07-2016, 01:09 PM)Konek Wrote: Rough. Strong. NeanderthalBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Seriously, i liked so much frequency balance between kick and bass.
Sometimes guitars sound in Tom Morello's style.
Maybe slow attack on snare's compressor will make the mix more openHuh
That's a good work, Dave!

Thanks Konek, for your kind words and critique. I have tried to give the snare a bigger roll in version #2 Big Grin

(19-07-2016, 02:27 PM)Olli H Wrote: Low energy places works nicely, but hi-energy places need more work, I guess.

Although this is guitar driven song I still wonder if your loud guitars are a tad too loud?

Listen for example how kick gets masked around 0:38. From that point you might check the low-end-low-mids balances between kick-bass-guitars.

Around 1.35 guitars feel too loud if compared to snare. If you solo drums, I’m quite sure that the kick snare balance is not optimal there. Kick is very close while snare is somewhere far behind.

So, sonically I like everything, but balancewise it’s not ok yet.

Thanks for the detailed critique Olli, after setting my basic levels and panning I decided to mix this one in mono on one mix cube only as an experiment as to how it would go. After listening back on my normal monitors I could hear a lot of the issues you addressed. Certainly made the guitars too loud. If I've learnt anything, it's a wonderful way of eqing a project together.
I have made some level adjustments based on my normal monitoring so Version #2 has hopefully addressed most of these issues.

Thanks again.

(19-07-2016, 05:48 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey Dave,

Listening on my laptop, and I agree with olli. Where he thinks the guitars are too loud, i think you could just spend a little more time on your kick and snare separation and bring them up a bit. Try adding a bit of 2.8 or thereabout on the kick to help bring some of the beater out, that might help quite a bit, actually.

Sounding nice, and you're really close! Maybe bring some 300 Hz up in the bass for us listening on smaller speakers! ;-)

Draper

Thanks for dropping by Draper.

I have addressed the bass guitar by tightening it up a little and have added some extra low mids also. I gave the kick a tweak while I was at it.

Thanks for your help.
Low end and voice are good. BUT try boosting whole mix around 500Hz range. And also it lacks the 1k and 5k range. On snare use more reverb, put several copies of snare with a reverb on each and then blend them. Also more low end to the snare. Voice sounds really nice and I like guitars, despite the other comments I dont think that they are too loud. They are just right. Smile All in all nice work! Big Grin
(20-07-2016, 11:32 PM)Marconi Blue Wrote: Low end and voice are good. BUT try boosting whole mix around 500Hz range. And also it lacks the 1k and 5k range. On snare use more reverb, put several copies of snare with a reverb on each and then blend them. Also more low end to the snare. Voice sounds really nice and I like guitars, despite the other comments I dont think that they are too loud. They are just right. Smile All in all nice work! Big Grin

Thanks MB, The guitars were too loud, but I have since adjusted them so I'm happy that you think that they are right. I tend not to do much snare processing but yes they could probably do with some extra fullness. Thanks for the other tips. I will explore these as I work towards version #3. I think there are some level issues between the different sections on the song that could be refined also. Cheers

Hi Dave ,
Listening to your updated mix and I have to say you are definitely on the right track with this mix.
Just some minor adjustments like the bottom end smack of the snare could be masked by the electric guitars in the chorus around the 200hz area and also some more top end splash would sound great ?
I'm thinking with the balance of the bass and kick maybe rolling off more low end off the kick to leave some room for the bass not sure it could be the other way around Huh.
The panned electrics maybe a touch upfront maybe just in the 300-1.5karea in the side channels.
Anyway as a pretty solid sounding mix to me ,thought I would have a quick play around and uploaded a dodgy version with some overall radical eq of how it sounds on old NS-10'Ms but it's best to eq at the idividual track as things like the low frequencies reverb on the vocals now sound thin after eqing the low frequencies of guitars on master .
Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    North To Alaska _All The Same_Dangerous-mas.mp3 --  (Download: 9.58 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts