Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wall of Death - Femme
Hi folks!

Here is yet another mix of this song. Basically a rough headphone mix/master with mostly just EQ and compression. Beyond that I used Waves' nonlinear summer (SSL console) on all channels, and some saturation on the master, no automation. Cymbals got too much compression. I found the original snare tracks to be unusable, especially the bottom mic. Didn't like the kick much either, and kick2 was unusable, too, because apparently that was a sampled kick that they didn't trigger from the original one! I replaced kick and snare with samples from Superior Drummer 2.

Let me know what you think!

J

.mp3    WallOfDeath_Femme.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

Nice job!!!
I had no idea what this song was or the type of music, I just hit play ... And immediately reached for the stop button. But a funny thing happened, within just a few moments I was being drawn in by the quality of the sound. I love big strong drums. You've got that. I love crunchy bold guitars. You've got that. The bass guitar carries the bottom end with out being floppy and distorted. And those vocals ... hated it! But they sound perfect for the song.
Obviously this form of metal is not my thing, but the quality of the mix makes it completely listenable. Twice! Once on speakers, once on earbuds. It holds up on both.
Great mix.

(20-07-2016, 03:13 AM)jp65535 Wrote: Nice job!!!
I had no idea what this song was or the type of music, I just hit play ... And immediately reached for the stop button. But a funny thing happened, within just a few moments I was being drawn in by the quality of the sound. I love big strong drums. You've got that. I love crunchy bold guitars. You've got that. The bass guitar carries the bottom end with out being floppy and distorted. And those vocals ... hated it! But they sound perfect for the song.
Obviously this form of metal is not my thing, but the quality of the mix makes it completely listenable. Twice! Once on speakers, once on earbuds. It holds up on both.
Great mix.

Thanks for the nice comments! I will post an update soon where I took the cymbals out of the drum bus compression so they can actually be heard! I am also trying to make the guitars a bit more aggressive...

Thanks again for the feedback!

J

CLIPPING everywhere!! It is not clipping in the song but it clips when you play it back, just turn down the overall volume for 2dB.
Try adding distortion to some parts of voice. Also try more reverb on snare. Pan of the hi-hat, it is personal preference but I like it to the left from drummers perspective, since I have been playing drums for 14 years. Try to bring up the cymbals in general.
The reverb on the vocals doesn't sound right. Try to fatten it by duplicating the vocal and overlaying it few ms behind with the original, also try compressing the vocal even harder.

I also played this kind of music so I love rough sound. Overall mix is really good. It is aggressive and hard! I like it! Big Grin
(20-07-2016, 11:52 PM)Marconi Blue Wrote: CLIPPING everywhere!! It is not clipping in the song but it clips when you play it back, just turn down the overall volume for 2dB.
Try adding distortion to some parts of voice. Also try more reverb on snare. Pan of the hi-hat, it is personal preference but I like it to the left from drummers perspective, since I have been playing drums for 14 years. Try to bring up the cymbals in general.
The reverb on the vocals doesn't sound right. Try to fatten it by duplicating the vocal and overlaying it few ms behind with the original, also try compressing the vocal even harder.

I also played this kind of music so I love rough sound. Overall mix is really good. It is aggressive and hard! I like it! Big Grin

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated! Implemented some of them, will post an update soon.

J

Hi guys! Here the update:

clipping: still limiting at -0.1 but didn't push it as hard this time

voice: dialed down the reverb a bit and did some bass enhancement, I think it's much better now, more of a deep growl; also added more compression

snare: added some more reverb, and dialed in a bit more compression

hi-hat panning: Marconi, don't discriminate the lefties Big Grin

toms: EQd them, didn't do that before

cymbals: took them out of the drum bus compression

guitars: before I had DI and amp guitars at equal levels but now I brought the DIs up relative to the amps, and put a different amp simulator on it (a mesa boogie mark IV with BOSS-HM2 pedal). I still feel the gtrs are a bit weak though.

plus some other little tweaks and more detailed EQing on the master

What do you think? Any feedback is much appreciated (that's my first actual mix of an entire song and I am probably doing all kinds of things wrong!)

Best,
J

.mp3    WallOfDeath_Femme_2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)