Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kak Tvoi Dela, Vova? Dirty Mix
I saw a couple of new mixes of this track the other day and thought I'd give it a go.

.mp3    Kak Tevoi Dela Vova Noize Box Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.89 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hi dcp

It's a very aggressive mix. There's a lot of distortion on the bass/kick and during choruses. The hi hat is too much distractive and masks the vocals. You should automate the overheads or use a gate on the snare (or multi band compression).

It's a very centered mix. Is that on purpose ? It gives energy but some instruments are masked by others.

Keep it up !
(14-07-2016, 08:09 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi dcp

It's a very aggressive mix. There's a lot of distortion on the bass/kick and during choruses. The hi hat is too much distractive and masks the vocals. You should automate the overheads or use a gate on the snare (or multi band compression).

It's a very centered mix. Is that on purpose ? It gives energy but some instruments are masked by others.

Keep it up !

Thanks for the critique Mandubien! For this mix I was going for an unpolished and raw sound, which is one of the reasons why the mix is centered. The track had a vintage rock vibe going on and I really wanted to push that forward so I used an emulation of an Abby Road REDD Console master section on the whole mix to give me some drive, almost like a guitar amp breaking up or the mix being played through a cheap hifi system.

I can see your point on alot of things in this mix, I was going for energy and creating a gritty atmosphere over technical perfection on this mix but I'm going to try working on this more.

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
This is my new revision, I went for a cleaner sound and gated the snare to eliminate some high hat bleed.

.mp3    Kak Tvoi Dela, Vova_ Clean Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.98 MB)

(15-07-2016, 11:46 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: This is my new revision, I went for a cleaner sound and gated the snare to eliminate some high hat bleed.

I like the clean mix a lot. A nice blend of polish but with some dirt still in the cracks. Great balance, punch and tasteful distortion. I'm going to have another listen now.

Dave.
(15-07-2016, 12:58 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(15-07-2016, 11:46 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: This is my new revision, I went for a cleaner sound and gated the snare to eliminate some high hat bleed.

I like the clean mix a lot. A nice blend of polish but with some dirt still in the cracks. Great balance, punch and tasteful distortion. I'm going to have another listen now.

Dave.

Thanks Dave for the comment. I agree with you, mixing this track completely clean didn't seem to work and mixing it really dirty made it too in your face and harsh.

Cheers,
Dcp