Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea of Leaves (or my take on it anyway)
Where to start ...

personally i thought the overhead and room mic tracks sounded pretty good, those are pretty crucial for a good drum sound, i found the others less desirable.

this may be cheating but i just replaced the snare/kick/toms with similar sounding samples tuned roughly to what the originals were. they seemed to cooperate with the overheads, so why not? i may be biased but i think it makes for a much better sounding kit. why do a mediocre mix with original drums when you can do a good one with samples?

i wound up discarding the majority of the doubled guitar tracks (aside from the doubled main rhythm track) and just picked one. on everything other then the rhythm track i used a mono to stereo sample delay (and the haas effect) to get stereo guitars without phase issues.

i liked the bass and main vocal takes, and while the back ups weren't the greatest, reverb and numerous voices can massage some of the shortcomings haha.

i wound up mixing the rhythm guitar last, i wasn't really crazy about the quality/tone but i just eq'd it in a spot that i think works.

soooooo anyway, thats my take on this song

.mp3    Jokers, Jacks & Kings - Sea of Leaves.mp3 --  (Download: 7.37 MB)

Hey, you got a nice mix going here. Powerful drums, but to my taste there's something kind weird happening to the toms, it's a little hard to heard them. Also, the pad comes in too loud at first, but that's just personal taste. Good job!