Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren by Georgia Wonder
Greetings all,
Please give a listen and let me know what you think.

EDIT: 2nd track has less compression, a bit more guitar, a small boost @ 10khz and half of a small boost @ 2.5Khz.

My thanks to Georgia Wonder for providing the tracks.

.mp3    Siren_Georgia-Wonder.mp3 --  (Download: 15.57 MB)

.mp3    Siren_Georgia-Wonder_-Comp_+Gtr.mp3 --  (Download: 15.59 MB)

Hello JP.
Two things that I noticed here.
*compression is too much on everything. Its sqashing the instrents a lot.
*all the instruments need to come up except for the drum and bass... I barely hear guitars or synths.

Check out my mix for a reference.
(10-07-2016, 11:10 PM)Shul Wrote: Hello JP.
Two things that I noticed here.
*compression is too much on everything. Its sqashing the instrents a lot.
*all the instruments need to come up except for the drum and bass... I barely hear guitars or synths.

Check out my mix for a reference.

Hi Shul,
Thanks for the the review.
I've added a slightly modified mix above. See if you like it better.

I agree the guitars are very low. I didn't find many of them all that interesting so I didn't spotlight them. However, when I remove them, there is a big hole in the track. So they are adding something.

I approached this as a dance track and gave it a definite drive.

As for the synths, that's mostly what I hear in my mix. I'm going to guess my mixing environment may be affecting my perceived balance.

Anyway, all comments are welcome. I can only learn when my failures are identified.

By the way I did listen to your mix and my impression is that you and I have approached this from opposite ends of the spectrum. :-)

You seem to have gone lighter on the bottom end, and it's definitely a more guitar driven mix with very light synth work.

This is why I like mixing, so many options, and the only right answer is the one you get from the guy paying for the work. :-)

Cheers.
Definitely an improvement in my opinion. Now the overall feel of your mix doesn't sound that compressed. Even on my phone the mix sounds better in mono.

I agree there are several approaches to every mix and ultimately the client decides what stays and what goes.

Those were the two things I found out of place in your mix and yes I like the second version better. Good job.