Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Triviul: Dorothy_mix Tommy Marcinek
Angel

Oh, this song has become an "ear-worm"! Those of you who don't know what that means, it means that it's always playing in your head over and over again. Big Grin I go around the house singing it. The song is so cool and quirky, creative, etc.....I just love it!

Some of my goals: I wanted this mix to sound balanced, full, even, and not too processed. As Mike Senior explained in his comments regarding the challenges we may all face with this song, one was the excess siblance & plosives, etc., due to the fact that the lead vocals were printed with a lot of compression. That was the biggest challenge.

UPDATE: THIS is a newer mix (I had uploaded a mix yesterday and I just wasn't happy with it). What I needed to do was spend more time on the lead vocal. While I got pretty good results with manual editing and plugins within Cubase, it wasn't good enough. What I HAD TO DO was bring the lead vocal into iZotope RX V and spent at least an hour and a half (probably more) manually fixing all the vocal siblances, plosives, accentuated consonants, etc. So, in the end, there is almost no processing on the lead vocal now with the exception of some reverb, etc. I am really happy with the results. I hope you all like it.

UPDATE #2 - This is yet another mix. This time I took out the vinyl crackling that occurs during the kiddie vocal interlude. The crackling was printed on both the Kiddie voice track AND the drum track. I used iZotope RX 5 for this. What a great program!!! I used it offline and then saved and imported the manipulated files into the DAW.

UPDATE #3 - O.K. THIS is my final mix. I put the vinyl crackling back in because it was indeed very cool and I also revamped the mix in other ways otherwise making this one of my best mixes yet, hopefully. Enjoy!

Peace,

Tom

---------------UPDATE December 2016

I wanted to revisit this song because I think it's so cool! I wanted to clear up some things that were bothering me. The other mixes I deleted prior but Mike Senior likes us to keep all versions for comparison. So, version 13 is the latest and the other one was the one that has been posted for a while. Ignore the other "updates" as the mixes they refer to are not there. This latest mix (again, version 13) is cleaner and overall better, I think. Enjoy!!

Tom

.mp3    Dorothy_11_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

.mp3    Dorothy_12_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Love what you have done here. Great upfront vocal and overall pizzazz
It's definitely a catchy and quirky tune . It reminds my a lot of an old band called Split Enz, an Australian outfit I grew up listening to a lot in the early 80's. Back when everything was quirky and out there!

Very Enjoyable listen. Well Done Tom.

(06-07-2016, 12:22 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Love what you have done here. Great upfront vocal and overall pizzazz
It's definitely a catchy and quirky tune . It reminds my a lot of an old band called Split Enz, an Australian outfit I grew up listening to a lot in the early 80's. Back when everything was quirky and out there!

Very Enjoyable listen. Well Done Tom.

---------------------

Dave, thanks much!!! Yeah, it's quirky sooooooooo cool.....love the tune. Did you do a mix for this one? I looked but didn't see yours. Did you use a different name? ------ UPDATE: I uploaded a new mix without the crackle in the kiddie vocal and drum tracks....see above.

Tom
yes it is indeed lots of fun mixing this song. great main vox, very clean and upfront. the decrackling of the kids-voice, maybe it changed something to the sound of it, but i liked the old-movie crackle. great mix!
(10-07-2016, 06:34 PM)loupi Wrote: yes it is indeed lots of fun mixing this song. great main vox, very clean and upfront. the decrackling of the kids-voice, maybe it changed something to the sound of it, but i liked the old-movie crackle. great mix!

-------------------
Loupi,

Thanks for the kind words.....agree about the crackle in the kiddie voice. It's just not the same without it. But, I just wanted to see if I could do it. I think I will go back in there and put that crackle track back in there the way it was. maybe I'll leave out of the drum track (where also was but to a lesser degree) and leave the kiddie track as it was and see how that sounds.

Tom