Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Devil's Words
Here's my late night rough mix of this song. I'm going to stop with the instrumentals for tonight, but I'll add in vocals in the morning! Critique would be awesome, thanks guys!

.mp3    01 Devil\'s Words - Instrumental Rough Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

Hey man,

This is a sick instrumental. Love it.

The only concern I have at the moment is your high tom. I would assume you're using a trigger/replacement drum that can be manipulated? If that's the case, maybe the pitch of the high tom could come down a bit? It sticks out from the rest of the kit, which is punchy and low. Try going maybe a minor 3rd to a fifth of an interval above your low tom, that'll keep it in that range.

Just a suggestion, I'm really just being too picky at this point.

Again, awesome mix. Guitars have a really neat stereo separation to it. And your reverse snare before the intro is super impactful.

Super cool!

(28-06-2016, 05:44 AM)sbhrule15 Wrote: Here's my late night rough mix of this song. I'm going to stop with the instrumentals for tonight, but I'll add in vocals in the morning! Critique would be awesome, thanks guys!

(11-07-2016, 07:36 PM)drums4_Me2 Wrote: Hey man,

This is a sick instrumental. Love it.

The only concern I have at the moment is your high tom. I would assume you're using a trigger/replacement drum that can be manipulated? If that's the case, maybe the pitch of the high tom could come down a bit? It sticks out from the rest of the kit, which is punchy and low. Try going maybe a minor 3rd to a fifth of an interval above your low tom, that'll keep it in that range.

Just a suggestion, I'm really just being too picky at this point.

Again, awesome mix. Guitars have a really neat stereo separation to it. And your reverse snare before the intro is super impactful.

Super cool!

(28-06-2016, 05:44 AM)sbhrule15 Wrote: Here's my late night rough mix of this song. I'm going to stop with the instrumentals for tonight, but I'll add in vocals in the morning! Critique would be awesome, thanks guys!

Thank you!

That's great you pointed out the pitch of the drum, I'll go ahead and try tuning the tom down. I could also try a different sample, but this sample blended with the real drum quite well, so I'll go ahead with your idea on the tuning as it'll probably get me a better result.

I really do appreciate the feedback! Always trying to improve in any way I can.
hy there ---the mix sounds good maybe if i can give an advice is to check in the reverb (room/chamber i suppose) on the drum...it seems like to be too much sometimes, but in same time the issue could be just in making a good eq on reverb, i mean to cut all low frequencies range of reverb that in this case make the drum sound ,especially on toms too boomy , and it has a negative influence lot on the energy in all the rest and make the general sound not so clean.....and maybe make the tail more little.....i hope my advice can be helpful for you!!!