Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Allright - Voelund
Yo - been a long time
I had some fun mixin this one, nearly puttin evrything through the dishwasher, but found I overdid it and went for a fresh start.
( when you compare the raw tracks to what you did and they sound better something is definately wrong)
This one is a nearly static mix.
I will listen other versions tonight and Im sure you will find something for me to do better in this mix.
Hit me - and I hope you all are well.

cheers

Niels

OBS new version post 8

.mp3    Allright alt 02.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hi Niels,
Hope you are well ?
Where did you go we were going to send out a search party lol.
I have had many mixes with putting everything through the dishwasher and having to start again many times Angry.
I Love your ideas ,Surprised with the gurgling sound on the vocals.
Maybe a touch less bottom end on the Pizzicato strings at 2.16.
Nice to hear another one of your creative mixes Big Grin.
Good Job

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Good work with mute button. That combined with controlled hi-end makes this mix sound nicely relaxed.

But at the same time I miss some air to vox. Haven’t we had this same discussion sometimes earlier. Smile
If you compare those parts in verses where there’s shaker and vox together, vox feels too dark compared to hi-content of shaker, at least to me. But still I felt that the hi-end balance betweet hi-hats and vox were just perfect in choruses. Maybe the shaker and vox are fighting in same area??

around 0:40 there’s a weird effect with vox that that causes some odd low stereo syllables in headphones ”…alright NnNow WwWe spend..”

I agree with Thedon, about strings.

Good work with triple vox to make them appear as mono groups in sides. It makes it easier to listen them.
Listening with headphones, there's a definite relaxed sound going on here that I like. A kind of analogue smoothness, vinyl style. The dryer sound you have gone with I think works really well with your vocal arrangement. Not so much marinated reverb. The main vocals could do with air as Olli has mentioned. It's hard to place the main vocal within the space of the mix as it is now. The backing vocals sound brighter which sort of puts them forward of the main vocal when they start, even though they are on the side. If that make sense. It will help the main vocal sound front and centre. I like the vocal effect in the chorus, but may need some tweaking just to control it a bit at times.

An enjoyable mix to listen to.
Dave
Thanks for the replies and suggestions and "nearly sent out a search party" made me laugh Big Grin
Olli we have had this talk before and Im sure we will have it again, and I´ll keep on finding arguments for not makin my vocals too bright - maybe we could apply for the roles as the 2 grumpy guys on the balcony in Muppet show ;-) But I could give it more air - and I will try it out for sure.
Actually Im not aware I muted anything, but my panning of voxes in verse may lead to that assumption. I thought the mix were rather busy so to make less clutter I decided to pan verse vocals like vocals on Queens prophets song, L R C. Not so hard left right ...
By taking groups and panning them mono and placing them it should make less clutter. Says my theory Big Grin
Dave - that warm sound is how I mix by instinct, also I have a couple of "analoge" plugins I like to use to get it.
For the space talk: I have 3 verbs goin - and I may have to treat main vox with more of the bright short one. I have ideas for a remake and thx for those and for the time you took.
Its fun to mix again - I´m a bit rusty but I think the pause have given inspiration and time to reflect on some elements I used to fight with
Or maybe my hearing are fooling me - its supposed to come with age they say

Still wondring if that search party would have brought brandy and biscuits ...

Thank you !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(28-06-2016, 03:39 PM)Voelund Wrote: Olli we have had this talk before and Im sure we will have it again, and I´ll keep on finding arguments for not makin my vocals too bright - maybe we could apply for the roles as the 2 grumpy guys on the balcony in Muppet show ;-) But I could give it more air - and I will try it out for sure.

And that’s how it works. Mere knowledge of you sitting in the audience up there in that balcony improved my ears: I immediatelly heard that my hi-hats are much too bright.

Be prepared that I’ll be asking more brightness, for I’m still in the process of renewing my hairy retro ears to more modern ones, but I’m not sure if I ever make it. Deep in my heart there’s a genre called ”real music”, and unfortunately they don’t play it too often in radio. But I’m stubborn and I’ll continue with these modern songs . . .

We both had the good fortune bein able to trade ideas and learn from eachother.
I admittably tend to mix to the dark side, thats how my ears work
I love clear sounds though - as long as its balanced
In my pause I have found a "modern" band, XTC from England.
(modern is indeed a joke as its from last century, but still good music !)
They made excellent records ( Gus Dudgeon produced some of them)
check out the brillant mix of "Peter Pumpkinhead" if you dont know them, maybe you remember "Plans for Nigel" and "Senses workin overtime"
Version 2
Brighter vox and small adjustments, including parallel drum comp and backin of a bit on sidechain comps on 2nd and 3rd verse vocals groups.

.mp3    Allright 03.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

simply beautiful, Niels! As you said, sometimes a break makes you see things in a different way and "rethink" techniques and procedures.

I'm very glad to see you around here again. I had bought a flashlight for that search party Don mentioned. Now I can give it a boyscout that will use it more than me hehehe!!! Smile
mixing since April 2013
Love the sound of both versions of the mix Niels, personally I can't really pick a winner here ;P, they both sound equally as good.

The vocals in the first mix sound better to me and fit more with the dark vibe of the track more, the brighter vocals in the second mix are perfectly fine though!

The dryness of the mix also is really works quite well, it also adds some contrast when the wet sounding percussion clicks come in.

Overall I can't really complain about anything here, great work and welcome back!

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6