Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix of The Dice
this was a pretty cool track to mix, and I think I got it sounding pretty big and powerful. Let me know what you all think

.m4a    The Dice.m4a --  (Download: 12.25 MB)

Hi Monti, I'll give you my first impressions without getting too much technical! Guitars pops out nicely and I really like the timbre, maybe the need just a little bit of more low end. Drums for me are too much in the back, I mean kick and snare could be more powerful and "in your face". For my opinion the drum kit sounds too much "natural" for this specific genre. Lead vox could be more fat and big and also more effected, especially in the chorus. Backing vocals could more present. Bass guitar sometimes sounds a little bit muddy, boomy, not well defined and it clashes with the kick drum. I think you've made a good start and your mix of this song have a great potential. Try to reference with some commercial tracks as much as you can and make some adjustments. Fell free to ask me more specific questions if you want!

Have a nice day and good time mixing!

Alex
Hey man, thanks for the listen and your feedback. Those drums were all sample replaced entirely, except for the snare where I left the real snare in there pretty low in the mix. I really couldn't see these drums coming up any more without being distracting and out of balance. I could see the bass being a little muddy, so I'll have to go back and address that.
Hey Monti, maybe we have a different visions about the song Smile I think that a more powerful in your face kick and snare won't being distracting, especially if you could cut some mud out of the bass guitar and make it more solid, drums will be more present without change too much the level and timbre, because they'll gain more space to breath and pop out
Just a technical question, how did you processed the drum kit?

Yeah I mean there are two approaches to this song the way I see it, you could go for more of a metal sound or more of a rock sound. I definitely went for more of a rock sound. But yeah you might be right about clearing up the bass though. On the drums I've got a little saturation on most of the individual tracks, decent amount of EQ, compression on the snare and toms, EQ and comp on the rooms, parallel compression on the kick and snare, I've got my snare and toms going to a plate verb, then I've got some light drum bus compression going on, and a bit of a high shelf boost to give everything a bit of shimmer on the bus as well
Cool, very nice job! I look forward to hear a new mix with the bass guitar fixes! In the next few days I'll post my mix too, so I'll wait for your critiques!

Have a nice day

Alex
1:23 sounds very interesting!

1:36 "roll the dice little god.." i would make this louder

3:16 is there a kickbeat missing? snare could sound bigger. i like kick, bass and guitar sound. vocals, too! Smile

one question: did you retriggerd the kicksound? it sounds very clean and static whick works extremly good on some parts, while on other as it wouldn't belong to the kit

greets jeraldo