Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
LEAD Inc_Way Of Life_mix Tommy Marcinek
Angel

Many thanks to this band for encouraging us to be creative in doing this mix. AND, that's exactly what I did. I put my "producer" hat on and just let it flow.

First, I really liked the way the two lead vocal tracks worked together so I left them that way. To me, it sounds really good with the double-effect it has, plus it brings out the lyrics and a heavier sounding feel. Now, as to a heavier sounding feel, well THAT is what I went for.

I was looking for a powerful, punchy and in-your-face mix. I also did some arranging, shortening the song. It's more like a single (just under 5 minutes). Granted some cool parts were cut but it seems to flow very nicely and has a more radio-structured arrangement.

I want to add that I did NOT sound-replace anything. I only used the tracks that were provided, striving to get every last drop of power from every track. The drums were recorded really nicely and the musicians and the vocalist in the band are just great! ....a really nice tight performance!

I put a full day into this mix *8-hours, plus....and enjoyed every minute of it. I have uploaded it now and hope you all enjoy it. I need a day or two for my ears to recover because this was a marathon session and my ears are kinda toast. So, because of that, I will listen to some of your mixes in a couple of days and comment, etc.

Love you guys, this site, these wonderful mixes, the learning experience....everything. Dang! WE ARE LUCKY to have this site!!!

Please,

Tom

.mp3    Way Of Life_4_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 11 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Hi Tom,
thanks for posting this with a good description of your approach and your idea behind it. I think that, excluding choices that are a matter of taste I have good and less good feedback to give.

The good part
You got an amazing drum sound from the original tracks. I like it very much!
Same for the vox tones, the bass tone as well, including the distorted bass that was/is sort of a problem for me.

Less good part
- Levels Balance - there is quite a prominence of the kick and especially of the vox that drowns the nuisances of the guitars. Except from the opening, once the (double) vox is in, the guitars seem too much in the back throughout the song.
- Guitars tone - Can't really get it since, as just said, guitars are kind of buried. The instrumental bridge is gone with your cut so even less chances to get the guits in full power.
- Openness - the feeling I have is that lots happening close to mono with very rare excursions on few over accentuated L-R delays, that since rare, are coming out "strange" or "casual". The wide panned OH and toms are maybe compressed or not levelled up enough to keep the wideness of the mix enough to compete with the center, especially at low auditioning volume.

If you really went through 8 hours straight or near straight of this, well some ear rest and audition of alternate versions in the forum will make you the best judge of your own work (as it usually happens to me).
Hope this helps!
thanks for reading.
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(13-07-2016, 09:03 PM)Lammy Wrote: Hi Tom,
thanks for posting this with a good description of your approach and your idea behind it. I think that, excluding choices that are a matter of taste I have good and less good feedback to give.

The good part
You got an amazing drum sound from the original tracks. I like it very much!
Same for the vox tones, the bass tone as well, including the distorted bass that was/is sort of a problem for me.

Less good part
- Levels Balance - there is quite a prominence of the kick and especially of the vox that drowns the nuisances of the guitars. Except from the opening, once the (double) vox is in, the guitars seem too much in the back throughout the song.
- Guitars tone - Can't really get it since, as just said, guitars are kind of buried. The instrumental bridge is gone with your cut so even less chances to get the guits in full power.
- Openness - the feeling I have is that lots happening close to mono with very rare excursions on few over accentuated L-R delays, that since rare, are coming out "strange" or "casual". The wide panned OH and toms are maybe compressed or not levelled up enough to keep the wideness of the mix enough to compete with the center, especially at low auditioning volume.

If you really went through 8 hours straight or near straight of this, well some ear rest and audition of alternate versions in the forum will make you the best judge of your own work (as it usually happens to me).
Hope this helps!
thanks for reading.
cheers

---------------------------
Lammy,

Thanks for your detailed analysis and suggestions. I really would like to go back into this mix and try a bit different approach. The "artist" basically said what you did. They wanted more prominence in the guitars and thought the vocals were too loud in the mix. With fresh ears I will revisit this one.....thanks again.

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek