Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waves - Olli H
After having spent too much time fixing the groove it was quite difficult to concentrate on mixing.
My reference was old Hank Williams - one of my biggest musical infulences.

EDIT: New "more mixed" version waves-2016-06-09-olli-h. I tried to diminish the phasey sound and make the overall feel more focused.

.mp3    waves-2016-06-02-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.39 MB)

.mp3    waves-2016-06-09-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.39 MB)

Sounds great on pc speakers Olli, You have tamed everything nicely. The song really comes together with timing corrections in place. Well Done.

Love old Hank also. Got a great collection of his MGM 78's and 10"LP's that I like to drag out every now and then and spin up. Good stuff.

Dave
Lovely natural sounding mix Olli ,Good job bringing out the sweet spots on the vocals and instruments and timing with these challenging multi tracks.
Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for comments. Rhythm is still a bit clumsy but I guess I'll go find something else to mix.

I really wonder what was the problem in recording. I'm sure that this band plays together 100 times better that what this recording tells us. Maybe the click track was very unmusical to play with, and then timing errors of first player were disturbing the next player etc.

But anyway, thanks to this recording I learn a lot of Reapers stretching possibilities, and how to automate them quickly. This one was superb "fix it in the mix" rehearse.
Yeah, Reapers pretty amazing in this area. Going back through my mix with some time correction now and reapers transient dynamic splitting with track grouping works really well and saves a lot of time. As you say, it's certainly a great track to explore some of these tools.
you said that it was difficult to concentrate on mixing after the timing adjustments. I think your mix is pretty good and al the instruments sound very natural. I wonder what you had come up to if you had the concentration you said you didn't have Smile
mixing since April 2013
Wow really great mix. Youve done so much work here. Really nice
(06-06-2016, 07:06 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: you said that it was difficult to concentrate on mixing after the timing adjustments. I think your mix is pretty good and al the instruments sound very natural. I wonder what you had come up to if you had the concentration you said you didn't have Smile

Thanks!
I added a new version where I this time concentrated more on mixing side. I'm not sure if it's any better, but at least I tried to make it sound smoother and more focused.