Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of Johhny Lokke: 'Promises & Lies'
Hello everyone! This is my first time actually mixing a "full song" instead of my own, which usually consists of one or two guitar tracks and some drum samples.

I'm also SUPER new to this kind of thing. I started 6 months ago, but it wasn't until about a month or two ago that I really started to delve into engineering, so any criticism is welcomed and greatly appreciated it.

Don't pull any punches!

.mp3    Promises And Lies.mp3 --  (Download: 4.38 MB)

Your mix isn't mastered, right? I see a good dynamic range in there (this is actually pretty good), though you need to give more volume in general (7dB seem to be right from what I tested on Reaper with the TT DR meter) so your peaks get close to 0 but the RMS stay low enough.

The mix sounds fat and big, but I feel you used too much reverb so the voices and solo guitar are too "far away". Try to balance how much you send to the reverb aux so you can leave the main tracks closer (the leads like voices and melodies, the less reverb the closer they feel).

I wanna hear more of your mixes, keep on the good work buddy.
Hey, sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for the feedback!

I've since "re-mixed" the song since this post. I won't post it, simply because I've lost interest in it, but I can see what you mean about certain tracks sounding "far away".

Again, thank you very much!
No problem dude, keep on the good work.
I think you should follow a more common approach in your drums panning. This doesn't really work when listening on a normally placed stereo pair.
You should try to eliminate resonance in the vocals. Try and clean up more the instruments to avoid a muddy effect.