Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
64 Bristol (advanced lvl)
The worst thing that can happen to you with these many tracks.. is to not know which ones to accentuate. I can only imagine the engineers who mix sound for movies.. over 200 tracks sometimes.

I started by deleting the tracks I wasn't gonna use. Most of the guitars were recorded with two different mics so I picked the ones with the better tones in my opinion. I Didn't use samples on my drums. I decided to make due with the ones provided. It was fun to work with.

*When mixing this many tracks you know not all of them are going to surface.. maybe 4 or 5 will stay afloat in the mix while the rest is in the back just to fill out gaps or actually to help the feel of the song. I felt this song was screaming "ambiance instrumental" because there is really not a solid melody, it changes from beginning to end. Also the amount of room mics used pointed me in this direction.

*Not that many mixes of this song.. now I know why. It's really hard to mix. With these many options to pick from is very easy to confuse your self and the outcome can be very destructive. Therefore since I decided "ambiance instrumental" from the beginning that's what I went for. Eventually I deleted like 3 tracks that were useless in all the chaos.

Bottom line:
-Focused on guitar tonality and clean up. Found several freq. here and there that were very problematic when combined with the fx and other guitars.
-Most of the fx here were used to enhance the feel of the song. Very small automations to accentuate in some areas but nothing too crazy.

I'll be checking mixes of this song. It will be hard to say "what a great mix" because of the magnitude of the tracks.. but looking forward to see what people come up with.

thanks for checking it out.

UPDATE: Version 2 with fixed low end build up and minor fader and eq adjustments.

.mp3    64BristolM2mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.83 MB)

Hello,
The only two things I hear are :
- a low end pile up which makes the mix very boomy
- dynamic range a tad too squeezed for my taste
But good mix overall.
(31-05-2016, 10:34 AM)EKN Wrote: Hello,
The only two things I hear are :
- a low end pile up which makes the mix very boomy
- dynamic range a tad too squeezed for my taste
But good mix overall.

Thanks for the comment.

Are you referring to the beginning low end build up? Or the overall mix in general? If its the mix in general , what do you think about the beginning low energy build up?

I only used moderate compression on things like drums and bass.. The fx and guitars are for the most part eq only. I did use compression on a few tracks to bring them up not to squash them Smile I did use however some automation to keep the level of some instrents in check. Maybe this is why its sounds too compress?

Thanks for checking it out.
There's a bit of clipping. Is that on purpose?
not an easy mix indeed. you went for different choices, things you emphasized that i didnt and for a darker vibe. interesting. i'm listening on headphones, and i have plenty of bass, which usually means too plenty. you understand i'm not in the best position to talk about the bass, but it seams a little full. snare maybe a little thin. but the mix has a good drive, and as i said, interesting to hear a different approach.
(31-05-2016, 09:38 PM)jrk Wrote: There's a bit of clipping. Is that on purpose?

No its not. Listening carefully I did hear clipping distortion. Gonna seat down to ease up on the limiter. I tried getting loud volume here but I over did it.

Thanks for the feedback Smile
(01-06-2016, 12:21 AM)loupi Wrote: not an easy mix indeed. you went for different choices, things you emphasized that i didnt and for a darker vibe. interesting. i'm listening on headphones, and i have plenty of bass, which usually means too plenty. you understand i'm not in the best position to talk about the bass, but it seams a little full. snare maybe a little thin. but the mix has a good drive, and as i said, interesting to hear a different approach.

No you are right. I didn't cut low end in my bass.. I tried to push it as much as I could.. But I failed at it lol. I listened to the mix in a small Bluetooth speaker (mono) and the low end is overwhelming. I'm gonna fix that and post the second one.

As for the snare is thin sounding because its too far back.. And its low end gets mixed up with low end of guitars plus bass is too overwhelming. Hopefully lowering some low end in bass will result in a Lil more full snare.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.
New version is up. Dealt with low end problems mostly.
My comment on V2 is that it sounds pretty good, personaally i prefer to the addon sounds not to be stronger then the guitar, but this works also, i'm no expert, but can say dont hear anything wrong in the song, well done
A very chilled out mix. I like it. Really nice work on this Shul. Really clean as well. The low end is nice and clear. I went with a fuller mix myself, but it changes the dynamic of the song quite a bit. I really like the slap back delay on the hard panned guitars during the bridge-type section.

I really like it. As usual.

Draper