Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Femme mix
Hi,

I gave it a go,
Let me know what you think =) !

.mp3    femme.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

hello

sounds good to me except I hear clipping distortion here and there... you should keep an eye on that limiter.
Thanks for your input !
I'll check this.

.mp3    femme.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

I think this sound is so mild and compressed.
Why the sound are small, but dynamics are small too...?Huh

My advise is "you should remove the bus compressor/limiter".Big Grin
It maybe OK that sound will be small cause of removing the limiter.
Dynamics are important.Big Grin

(30-05-2016, 06:46 PM)Jimdolorian Wrote: Thanks for your input !
I'll check this.

Hello,

I wasnt satisfied with my first mix so i made a new one.

.mp3    femme mix NEW-001.mp3 --  (Download: 8.72 MB)

Mixing with a dt770 for now..
(05-06-2016, 08:35 AM)Mio Wrote: I think this sound is so mild and compressed.
Why the sound are small, but dynamics are small too...?Huh

Well if dynamics are your thing this set of multis don't really have any. This is Death Metal, the idea is to have a "Wall of Sound" and be as loud possible. Your solution would be to back the limiter off until it isn't actually limiting and pulling gain reduction until it reaches and extreme peak. Dynamics are important yes, but they have to be present in the individual performances to begin with, we cannot add that in post.

We have here a track consisting of Sample Drums, Bass, Saturated Electric guitar and Unclean Vocals, all of which have not alot of dynamic range to begin with, the way to tackle this would be to roll with the limited dynamic range of the track and start using distortion and saturation to shape the sound of the mix, use soft clippers on the drums to make them more aggressive sounding and dirty, limit the bass and guitars so that they're consistent and clear in the mix, and use distortion on the vocals to exaggerate their guttural sound.

This is the mistake people make all the time when mixing these sorts of metal tracks, they only look at dynamic range and when they find that the tracks don't have very much they get frustrated and give up. They don't look for the other aspects like using the limited dynamic range in a different way, see this as an opportunity to make a raw sounding and dirty mix, a Big, Noisy wall of chaos rather than a Jazz or standard Rock mix.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
What DCP said Smile This is Death Metal. It's not supposed to be dynamic. No one would bang his head or jump into the moshpit if this sounds like jazz Smile

Btw: Nice mix, Jim. Love it.
Hey !

Thanks for your comments Smile !

I totaly agree with what dcp said :p.

I'm glad you liked the mix Blitzzz !

Take care Smile
Mixing with a dt770 for now..
(10-01-2017, 06:42 PM)Jimdolorian Wrote: Hello,

I wasnt satisfied with my first mix so i made a new one.

I think the kick is a little bit too prominent. Almost renders the snare inaudible. Also, the vocals could use some de-essing.

Overall, a little bit of high-end would brighten up the mix and make it sound more aggressive.