Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Promises and Lies 2 Hour Mix
This is the 5th song i have used this on. Its a method i am using to try and get better at my skill. Pretty much i start mixing a song and no matter what at the end of 2 hours i have to stop. So on this song you will hear i was able to mix most of the song but the solo guitar, and the toms are raw and the intro vocals arent in. I didnt ad them becuase i felt there was something better, more artistic that could be done with those and i didnt get a chance to really focus on that. There were some things i think that if it were a paid project that would have really made this track just kill. 1. Automation on this track would make it a beast and send this track into overdrive, 2. I would have loved to added some harmonies in on the vocals and maybe some doubles during the verse to kind of give it more character, and 3. i wasnt able to get to any reverb so i think that would have made a difference. The one thing that i kinda felt was a make it or break topic on this track was saturation. The drums needed to be heavy and come through thick and so did the guitars so i used different settings on the J37 plugin by waves and also the stock air distortion plugin by protools. On i also the SSL bus comp on the master bus, followed by the waves PuigTec EQP-1A to add some character. I did use some other things on the drums and guitar bus like the CLA-3a that added some character to the guitars and the 2a which kinda help give the drums a tad but more punch. I did a lot more tonal work on this track than EQing and if you had any questions would definitely answer them if you asked. Hope you enjoy.

.mp3    Promises and Lies Two Hour Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.85 MB)

Hello

*Balance is good
*Eq needs polishing. There are several freq. jumping out which become harsh sounding on their highest peaks. Mainly coming from vocals and guitars.
*there is a resonating freq. on the low end of the guitars at 1:51 through 2:10

For 2 hours this is quite good. keep it up.
Very nice mix for just two hours. I think it needs a little balance in the voice and the ride (the ride sounds too strong).