Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead Inc: 'Way Of Life'
Greetings mixologists, here's my mix of this rockin' tune. Thanks to Till and the band for providing another quality song and also the comprehensive info on the recording session.

Cheers,
Mick

.mp3    way of life.mp3 --  (Download: 14.13 MB)

Hey Mick ,
Solid mix as usual I like the fullness and depth you have created.
The only minor complaint I have is the hi hat and cymbals sound clean and natural but just a touch upfront on my old Ns10's but mainly personal taste to my ears.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey mick

Mix is good but I have two things id like to point out.

*cymbals and hihat are too upfront
*kick gets lost in the mix in the chorus parts.

Everything else sounds good to me.
Listening on my car stereo.
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Will re-visit those items.

Cheers,
Mick
yo Big Grin
i'm missing dynamics, this is pretty hot to my ears. it's clipping too (is it the percussion pushing it over?). this overall compression could be contributing to the treble which seems to be coming off the cymbals generally, it's pretty fatiguing - wondering if the ceiling was too close for the mics? i'd prefer the kick to be less up-front personally, so that it has the illusion of being more attached to the cymbals in the depth field; it seems subjectively alienated otherwise (kind of hiphop style, in front of the mix, especially in mono). i'd also look at how you could increase the song's overall musical dynamic to get some levels moving: builds, drops and that kind of thangg? wanna mute something? Big Grin

the vocal's missing treble, i suspect they may have over-compensated for sibilance. it can be recovered if you wanted, with a bit of fiddling around. this would help her presence and provide better clarity too. it would also bring her forwards a little more, which i'd prefer. i like the processing you've done generally with this vocal, but she tends to get a bit lost in the guitars and drums eg around 3:20. interestingly, it's here the guitars seem to lose some power and authority?

sorry can't do more, ears are getting sore.

it's coming along nicely though......with tweaks you'll have dominated it.

laters,,, currently engrossed in a major DAW build!
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hey mick,

I agree that I think the cymbals are too hot. Also, I think bass during the verses could be a little warmer. The verb on the vox seem a little up front. Try the Abbey Road eq trick on them, and see if it sits a bit better. Maybe it's just a little too hot.

I really like the thickness of the guitars through most of it. All in all you're pretty damned close.

Nice work man!
Draper
(30-05-2016, 05:18 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: yo Big Grin
i'm missing dynamics, this is pretty hot to my ears. it's clipping too (is it the percussion pushing it over?). this overall compression could be contributing to the treble which seems to be coming off the cymbals generally, it's pretty fatiguing - wondering if the ceiling was too close for the mics? i'd prefer the kick to be less up-front personally, so that it has the illusion of being more attached to the cymbals in the depth field; it seems subjectively alienated otherwise (kind of hiphop style, in front of the mix, especially in mono). i'd also look at how you could increase the song's overall musical dynamic to get some levels moving: builds, drops and that kind of thangg? wanna mute something? Big Grin

the vocal's missing treble, i suspect they may have over-compensated for sibilance. it can be recovered if you wanted, with a bit of fiddling around. this would help her presence and provide better clarity too. it would also bring her forwards a little more, which i'd prefer. i like the processing you've done generally with this vocal, but she tends to get a bit lost in the guitars and drums eg around 3:20. interestingly, it's here the guitars seem to lose some power and authority?

sorry can't do more, ears are getting sore.

it's coming along nicely though......with tweaks you'll have dominated it.

laters,,, currently engrossed in a major DAW build!

Big Dave, thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy your detailed and honest assessments. I'm currently working on V2 which I will upload soon. Interested to hear of your DAW build, what are you building??

(31-05-2016, 05:16 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey mick,

I agree that I think the cymbals are too hot. Also, I think bass during the verses could be a little warmer. The verb on the vox seem a little up front. Try the Abbey Road eq trick on them, and see if it sits a bit better. Maybe it's just a little too hot.

I really like the thickness of the guitars through most of it. All in all you're pretty damned close.

Nice work man!
Draper

Hey Draper, thanks mate I appreciate the comments. Yeah I did probably smack it a little too hard, currently working on V2.

Cheers,
Mick