Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come Around (Intermediate-advance session)
I fell in love with this song the moment I heard it.
I just had to mix it! To my surprise the recordings weren't that good.

All guitars had resonating freq. on them around the 700hz, 1khz, 2khz, 3khz... among another few that were not that big of a problem. The room this song was recorded in was terrible. Either that or the mic used for it was no good.
Having said that the challenge here was how to cut off those resonating freq. but still preserve the most "unaltered"/ natural sound on them.

Checked several mixes of this songs to see If I could find one that actually focused on getting rid of all of these freq. but I couldn't find one! all of them have those ugly freq. At least all the ones I checked.

So cutting here and there was a lot of Fun but what helped me was the sound I was looking for in this particular song. The feel I wanted for it was not a clear/ clean one so in a way all the cut offs I did made it possible for me to achieve this chill, laid back, mellow sound and still keeping the natural sound of the recording.

Hope you guys like it.
Please do let me know what you think and how I did.
If you are looking for an advanced session, this is it... it will definitely improve your eq'ing skills.

Thanks for listening.

.mp3    ComeAroundMix1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.45 MB)

(25-05-2016, 06:02 AM)Shul Wrote: I fell in love with this song the moment I heard it.
I just had to mix it! To my surprise the recordings weren't that good.

All guitars had resonating freq. on them around the 700hz, 1khz, 2khz, 3khz... among another few that were not that big of a problem. The room this song was recorded in was terrible. Either that or the mic used for it was no good.
Having said that the challenge here was how to cut off those resonating freq. but still preserve the most "unaltered"/ natural sound on them.

Checked several mixes of this songs to see If I could find one that actually focused on getting rid of all of these freq. but I couldn't find one! all of them have those ugly freq. At least all the ones I checked.

So cutting here and there was a lot of Fun but what helped me was the sound I was looking for in this particular song. The feel I wanted for it was not a clear/ clean one so in a way all the cut offs I did made it possible for me to achieve this chill, laid back, mellow sound and still keeping the natural sound of the recording.

Hope you guys like it.
Please do let me know what you think and how I did.
If you are looking for an advanced session, this is it... it will definitely improve your eq'ing skills.

Thanks for listening.
Hello Shul ,
Enjoyed listening to your mix, sounds well balanced ,I like the full sound in the bottom end you have achieved without being muddy and Great job with the guitars.
well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Great work Shul,
Tonally I think you have nailed it and as good a version that I've listened to. I think you could push this mix further and really exploit the dynamics a bit more. For me it's sounding a little "safe". There's a lot of emotion in this track and I reckon that some fader moves throughout will help with the cause. For example I would love to hear the electric guitar really wake up the listener when it emerges. There's a lot of excitement that can be had with these softer songs. So much head room and sonic space to play with. I guess it's a bit like conducting and controlling the energy of an a orchestra. The best part is you've got a great arrangement to work with. Smile

Would love to hear the results if you push on with it.

Dave
(25-05-2016, 09:49 AM)thedon Wrote: Hello Shul ,
Enjoyed listening to your mix, sounds well balanced ,I like the full sound in the bottom end you have achieved without being muddy and Great job with the guitars.
well Done Big Grin

Thanks don!
(25-05-2016, 01:45 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Great work Shul,
Tonally I think you have nailed it and as good a version that I've listened to. I think you could push this mix further and really exploit the dynamics a bit more. For me it's sounding a little "safe". There's a lot of emotion in this track and I reckon that some fader moves throughout will help with the cause. For example I would love to hear the electric guitar really wake up the listener when it emerges. There's a lot of excitement that can be had with these softer songs. So much head room and sonic space to play with. I guess it's a bit like conducting and controlling the energy of an a orchestra. The best part is you've got a great arrangement to work with. Smile

Would love to hear the results if you push on with it.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Let me look into the dynamics and see what I can automate to make it more exciting. When I get a chance I'll post it up .
Thanks for the feedback!
I like how you hard panned the guitars, but maybe if you sent it to a stereo reverb it would feel like part of the whole song.. without it they kind of sound like they are in a separate space because of the extreme separation.

I like the feel/balance you went with the drums, but I feel like you could push the whole kit a little louder to make the song more impactful. I also like the hard panned background vocals on the right. Pretty cool.
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Also if you get a chance could you take a listen to my mix? I'd like to hear what people think: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=16482

Thanks
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
(29-09-2016, 09:27 AM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote: I like how you hard panned the guitars, but maybe if you sent it to a stereo reverb it would feel like part of the whole song.. without it they kind of sound like they are in a separate space because of the extreme separation.

I like the feel/balance you went with the drums, but I feel like you could push the whole kit a little louder to make the song more impactful. I also like the hard panned background vocals on the right. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the feedback man.. I was away for a while and didn't get to check the reply on my mixes. I'll stop by your mix and hopefully you are still around to check my feedback.
Obviously I'm a little late to give an opinion but it sounds pretty good. Anything that I would say has already been said above. Especially what Dangerous said. I think there's an opportunity to really go push the dynamics of this song. But overall it's sounding nice.

Good job.
(21-11-2016, 02:54 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Obviously I'm a little late to give an opinion but it sounds pretty good. Anything that I would say has already been said above. Especially what Dangerous said. I think there's an opportunity to really go push the dynamics of this song. But overall it's sounding nice.

Good job.

Yeah I agree I supposed I focused too much on cutting off stuff that automating and getting creative felt like something I didn't have to push for. I'm sure the project is somewhere in my HD but I don't plan to revisit that song anytime soon.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.