Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MerryGold's Motherload
This was an interesting song. While I'm not that experienced in bluegrass, the instrumentation was good and straightforward to mix. the problems for me lay in the vocals, the accordion, the bass and the snare. As a result, the snare is used very sparingly and placed according to the content of the Decca room mix which I used in the mix and as a reference. The bass ended up with percussive tones which I really liked. The accordion and I just don't get along well. then there are the vocals. Hers is fine. His is an abomination. I think I was able to get them both to work and work well together. It appears the singer also played the guitar and the leakage of her guitar into her vocal mic was a factor to deal with. In general I used a very steep hi-pass filter on all mics to limit low-end leakage and some minor hi-end filtering to soften the hi-end leakage in the same mics. there was a lot of cleanup to be done and critical listening to learn the character of the leakage and its effect on masking and clarity.

Anyway, that's what I think. Would love to know what you think. Thanks, I think!

02:
Mixed the banjo and the direct accordion a bit hotter and compressed instruments in places.

.mp3    MerryGold - Motherload.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

.mp3    02 MerryGold - Motherload.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
It's a good mix man Smile
I listened to it in my old truck.. and if it sounds good there it sounds even better in my studio monitors..
and as I'm currently listening in my studio monitors.. i was right.
Well done. Perhaps the only thing I could comment on is the guita
r on the right... a bit more compression would have been good to keep those dynamics on check.
(25-05-2016, 06:24 AM)Shul Wrote: It's a good mix man Smile
I listened to it in my old truck.. and if it sounds good there it sounds even better in my studio monitors..
and as I'm currently listening in my studio monitors.. i was right.
Well done. Perhaps the only thing I could comment on is the guita
r on the right... a bit more compression would have been good to keep those dynamics on check.

Hey Shul,
Thanks for the response. I can't help wondering which dynamics you were referring to with the guitar? Were you talking about the solo or something else?

Thanks.