Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rovers Ahead: 'It's In These Times'
Not sure about the Guinness, but I had a well earned cold beer after this one!
I found this one quite difficult. So many instruments that I felt were all fighting for a front row seat. I tried to feature everything simultaneously without overtaking the vocals, therefore the mix I've ended up with is quite loud and hopefully still somewhat raw without being too obnoxious.
Once again this was a fun track to work with. Really nice sounding raw tracks and a great tune to complete.

Thanks for listening,
Dave

Update: Added mix#3 more bass guitar and fuller bottom end.

.mp3    RoversAhead_ItsInTheseTimes_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.72 MB)

.mp3    RoversAhead_ItsInTheseTimes_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.72 MB)

Hi Dave ,Guinness definitely has an acquired taste but a few pints is a sure way to get snakes Hissed (Aussie slang for drunk lol)
As a personal preference missing the attack and top end tail of the snare .
The tempo sounds a touch slower or maybe I have had too many beers.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Dave!Smile
That's great song for Guinness and not only!
I like your mix!
Hey Dave

To be honest this is not my music style so I don't really know much about it here.
What I can tell you based on what i hear:

*everything seems pretty well balanced. I don't hear instruments fighting with each other.
*I think you got it right regarding "instruments fighting for a front seat". I do hear everything and their respective melodies well enough.
*only thing I'm not quite sure is the essing on vocals... When it says "its in thesssse timessssss" .. Could be the singer style is making me pay close attention to the esses since they are quite long. They don't sound very natural. Did you used a deEsser here? Not sure what it is but that stood out for me in a bad way.

All in all this is a good mix.
Keep it up.
(23-05-2016, 02:01 PM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave ,Guinness definitely has an acquired taste but a few pints is a sure way to get snakes Hissed (Aussie slang for drunk lol)
As a personal preference missing the attack and top end tail of the snare .
The tempo sounds a touch slower or maybe I have had too many beers.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don for your Pitch Perception. I had a laugh when you mentioned this. I must have knocked the play rate (0.98) when i set the tempo at the start of the session. I managed to mix the whole song without noticing. Maybe I need change my username from "Dangerous" to "Dopey".
I made some changes to the snare, but I feel I may still have missed the mark. I will have to keep working on my snare processing in general.

Thanks again, might go and get snakes hissed now! lol

Dave
(23-05-2016, 02:22 PM)Konek Wrote: Hi Dave!Smile
That's great song for Guinness and not only!
I like your mix!

Hi Konek, thanks for stopping by and having a listen.

Appreciated.

(23-05-2016, 08:21 PM)Shul Wrote: Hey Dave

To be honest this is not my music style so I don't really know much about it here.
What I can tell you based on what i hear:

*everything seems pretty well balanced. I don't hear instruments fighting with each other.
*I think you got it right regarding "instruments fighting for a front seat". I do hear everything and their respective melodies well enough.
*only thing I'm not quite sure is the essing on vocals... When it says "its in thesssse timessssss" .. Could be the singer style is making me pay close attention to the esses since they are quite long. They don't sound very natural. Did you used a deEsser here? Not sure what it is but that stood out for me in a bad way.

All in all this is a good mix.
Keep it up.

Hi Shul,

Although I wasn't overly troubled by the "esses" in the posted mix, your comments certainly made me check over my processes. I did use Reapers basic de-esser but I also had a saturation plugin on a parallel vocal track which may have over emphasized these "esses". I have since cut back on the saturation, but feel that It may be best for me to control the remainder with some automation.

Thanks for your analysis.
Dave
Good balance across things a little more presence around 2 kHz would bring thins out a bit
(08-07-2016, 03:46 AM)Nos Wrote: Good balance across things a little more presence around 2 kHz would bring thins out a bit

Thanks for checking it out, Nos

I don't remember too many of the details with this one other than the challenges making everything fit together and shine. I do love working with these types of recordings.

Thanks again,

Dave