Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix
Drums were very challenging, I am so new at this that I had hardly any samples available to me, so I had to dig online for freebies to use. Easier to find them, than to find the one that sounded correct to my ears. I still think the bass drum is a bit heavy. I have to mix on headphones, so my mixes sometimes end up a bit mid strong. I had to remix the final 3 times using other references before settling on this one. As with anything I do, I never feel like I'm finished with it, there is just so much you can do, but preserving the artists concept is the most important thing, so I know when its time to put the brakes on, at least I think I do. This is why I love mixing music, a thousand different ideas, and none of them are really wrong, its all about how you perceive it.

.mp3    What have you done to me.mp3 --  (Download: 3.72 MB)

Hi !

Your samples sound pretty decent actually Wink

Shakers are way too much in front, they take all the attention during choruses. In general, your mix lacks some balance in volume : some tracks are too loud, some others too quiet.

Otherwise it's pretty nice ! Good job Smile
Hi Mandubien,

I think I know where I've been going wrong. When I mix down my tracks to a wave file, I've been using them all, including buses. On my system it sounds huge. But I have found that after mixing, if I then isolate the buses and the master, I've got issues with my mix. I just caught this today, a guy assessed another mix I did on here and I revisited that mix and just stumbled across it by soloing the buses and master only, and I realized then I had big problems in volume, balance, and phasing issues too. So, with that said, once my ears heal up, they are toasty from all the mixing I've been doing the past week, I will revisit this song and apply my finds and see what happens. My ears were probably fatigued when I pushed the gain on the shakers, I'm hearing it for sure now. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate you taking the time to listen to it. I will re-post my new mix once I get it done.Take care.