Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Way Of Life (New song from Lead Inc... :D)
(29-05-2016, 02:43 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: By the delay guitar being louder, I mean that they are fighting the lead vocals for dominance in the mix (both can be heard but the vocals really want to be the main force here, the bass also carries that part down the octave), from what I hear at least that delay guitar seems more suited to being further down so when the pre chorus and then the chorus hits, the more distorted guitars have more of an impact.

The verb on the toms makes more sense now, still the verb really makes the toms sound way over the top (think 80's Phil Collins). I also like a more natural ambiance on drums which may colour my opinion but changing the type of verb or just holding back on the verb a little maybe worth a try.

The guitar mono to stereo trick you did really doesn't seem evident, for reference I'm talking about the verse guitars, it sounds like the track was duplicated and panned hard left and hard right resulting in a "big mono" sound (it just sounds louder). What needs to be done for that to work is a chorus type effect blended in on a buss or on the track itself. Personally I used the Waves Doubler for this but I think there are some freeware versions of that plugin.

Cool Cool

I'll lower the delay guitar so the vocals are not fighting for a position in the front and throw back some reverb on toms.

I know what you mean about big mono but it's not. I used logic stereo spreader plug in. The reason why it appears to be big mono is because I was not looking for that full stereo spread. The guitar delays were going to sound really bad if I would have used a full stereo spread on them. (it would have been delay on top of more delay which is terrible)
I only used enough separation for the vocals to be in between the guitar but not so much that it would cause trouble on the delay in the track. (this is 100 % evident if you were to listen to it in mono. feel free to download the track if you like Smile )

I shall look into that doubler plugin... thanks for the tips. Smile
Will post a revised version for you with your suggestions. In my humble opinion I think we are both looking at this song with different approaches and therefore we are both hearing it differnt but it can be good as we can compare both our mixes side by side and hear the different outcomes Smile
The only quibble I have is the delay guitar, which has been noted. Love the mix man!
(29-05-2016, 04:32 AM)loweche6 Wrote: The only quibble I have is the delay guitar, which has been noted. Love the mix man!

Thanks drapper.

cool cool. Will drop the levels for you and dcp. Smile
(29-05-2016, 04:18 AM)Shul Wrote:
(29-05-2016, 02:43 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: By the delay guitar being louder, I mean that they are fighting the lead vocals for dominance in the mix (both can be heard but the vocals really want to be the main force here, the bass also carries that part down the octave), from what I hear at least that delay guitar seems more suited to being further down so when the pre chorus and then the chorus hits, the more distorted guitars have more of an impact.

The verb on the toms makes more sense now, still the verb really makes the toms sound way over the top (think 80's Phil Collins). I also like a more natural ambiance on drums which may colour my opinion but changing the type of verb or just holding back on the verb a little maybe worth a try.

The guitar mono to stereo trick you did really doesn't seem evident, for reference I'm talking about the verse guitars, it sounds like the track was duplicated and panned hard left and hard right resulting in a "big mono" sound (it just sounds louder). What needs to be done for that to work is a chorus type effect blended in on a buss or on the track itself. Personally I used the Waves Doubler for this but I think there are some freeware versions of that plugin.

Cool Cool

I'll lower the delay guitar so the vocals are not fighting for a position in the front and throw back some reverb on toms.

I know what you mean about big mono but it's not. I used logic stereo spreader plug in. The reason why it appears to be big mono is because I was not looking for that full stereo spread. The guitar delays were going to sound really bad if I would have used a full stereo spread on them. (it would have been delay on top of more delay which is terrible)
I only used enough separation for the vocals to be in between the guitar but not so much that it would cause trouble on the delay in the track. (this is 100 % evident if you were to listen to it in mono. feel free to download the track if you like Smile )

I shall look into that doubler plugin... thanks for the tips. Smile
Will post a revised version for you with your suggestions. In my humble opinion I think we are both looking at this song with different approaches and therefore we are both hearing it differnt but it can be good as we can compare both our mixes side by side and hear the different outcomes Smile

Your welcome, I'm starting to think the same thing. I come from mixing more modern metal and rock so that probably has more of an impact on what I look for in a mix. Big Grin
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Here is the revised track guys Smile

*dropped couple of db on the delay gtrs
*cut the reverb send on the toms by half
*dropped the overall reverb lvl of drums a db or so
*boosted the vocal just a lil bit for more upfront feel

.mp3    MixRevwayoflife.mp3 --  (Download: 14.04 MB)

Your last mix sounds really good, well done.